Aggatu

Tinker17

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2014
Having now owned two Aggatu's for 2 years now, I am writing to say how dissapointed we are with them.
Both bikes have done similar mileage by 2 now nearly 65 year olds, so not been ridden hard, and done less than 1500 miles.
Both bikes have been well cared for, the mans bike is now on its 3rd motor, the ladies on its 2nd, the motors were replaced by 50 cycles, but buyer beware if you cannot because of distance, return the bike to them for the work to be carried out be prepared to pay yourself.
We now find we have wear in the hub on the ladies bike, and are now wondering how much longer these bikes are going to last.
I am now approaching retirement so am unable to replace them.
I have all the excuses from 50 cycles.Do I carry it on a motorhome, Yes, (you do advertise this in caravan magazines). Turn the motor off as much as possible, (why? No mention of this in your adverts, after all they are supposed to assist, and I need it, having had 2 partial knee replacement's, hence the reason for
buying).
Sorry 50 cycles, but I cannot recommend these bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are these the models with an Impulse crank motor?

There have been three distinctly different Agattus, one with the Panasonic crank motor unit in three different power versions. a second was the short lived Agattu F which had a front wheel hub motor, and the third generation has the Impulse crank motor in three versions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks, I wanted to clear that up since the first generation with the Panasonic units have been very reliable and a number of members have had them for years and still regard them highly.

I'm sorry to learn your unhappy experience of your models and hope some other Impulse 2 owners come in with their experiences to see if there's any trends.

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
Thanks, I wanted to clear that up since the first generation with the Panasonic units have been very reliable and a number of members have had them for years and still regard them highly.

I'm sorry to learn your unhappy experience of your models and hope some other Impulse 2 owners come in with their experiences to see if there's any trends.
I am an Impulse "1" (crank drive) Agattu owner, coming up to 3 years now and am happy to report no motor faults (or anything else for that matter). The bike is treated with respect and has covered about 3,000 miles to date. If the OP is talking about the much cheaper front hub motor "F" model which Flecc refers to, perhaps not quite so surprising.

Tinker17

Apr 6, 2014
I am an Impulse "1" (crank drive) Agattu owner, coming up to 3 years now and am happy to report no motor faults (or anything else for that matter). The bike is treated with respect and has covered about 3,000 miles to date. If the OP is talking about the much cheaper front hub motor "F" model which Flecc refers to, perhaps not quite so surprising.
These bikes are not front hub motors! And are now just 2 years old.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Both bikes have done similar mileage by 2 now nearly 65 year olds, so not been ridden hard, and done less than 1500 miles.
do you mean your two bikes have killed 3 motors after less than 3,000 miles? if that's true, then it's not good.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It would surprise me if a front hub lasted less than 5000 miles. In my experience, front hubs go on for a long time.

The OP's bikes seem to be crank drives. It would be reasonable to assume more than a 5000 miles lifespan for the motor, as that is only two sets of tyres.

I would have thought the OP has reasonable grounds for a complaint under the sale of goods act.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
As far as I know they now have impulse 2 motors, my point is it looks to me as though as they are just now out of guarantee, they are they are now going to be a liability, of which we cant afford.
My late Impulse 1 has never given any trouble but there are reports of the Impulse 11 having internal failures. As far as I know the 11 is identical mechanically to the 1 but with a lot more power. I have test ridden one and it does have more power than mine. I suspect it had too much for the rest of the motor and that’s why the new Evo has replaced it.

Not much comfort to the OP of course. I was thinking of getting one of the sales Impulse 11s a few months ago but decided not to. My bike has enough power for me anyway so I don’t really need any more.

Tinker17

Apr 6, 2014
As I said less than 1500 miles. And 50 cycles responses have not helped,
Bring them back for us to have a look at, a 400 mile round trip.
We had the motors changed by our local bike shop, 50 cycles donot pay for the work to be done, unless done by themselves.
All this is now immaterial now as the guarantee 's have just expired.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Having now owned two Aggatu's for 2 years now, I am writing to say how dissapointed we are with them.
Both bikes have been well cared for, the mans bike is now on its 3rd motor, the ladies on its 2nd, the motors were replaced by 50 cycles, but buyer beware if you cannot because of distance, return the bike to them for the work to be carried out be prepared to pay yourself.
We now find we have wear in the hub on the ladies bike, and are now wondering how much longer these bikes are going to last.
I am now approaching retirement so am unable to replace them.
I have all the excuses from 50 cycles.Do I carry it on a motorhome, Yes, (you do advertise this in caravan magazines). Turn the motor off as much as possible, (why? No mention of this in your adverts, after all they are supposed to assist, and I need it, having had 2 partial knee replacement's, hence the reason for
buying).
Sorry 50 cycles, but I cannot recommend these bikes.
I think if I was on my second or third motor and knowing that others have had problems with this version I would have cut my losses and sold it before that one went tits up too.

Clearly the Impulse 11 motor has been too stressed by design and you ought to have a case in law under the successor of the sales of goods act.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
When I was testing ebikes prior to purchase I included Kalkoff and because of the praise they get I expected something special. They weren't, even the 'S' pedelec was disappointing, inferior gear changing didn't help.

I know I keep on about my Delite but at almost 8000 miles in two years with all the original parts (except saddle) it has shown to be a better investment.

I feel for those who have bikes that have not lived up to the hype.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
When I was testing ebikes prior to purchase I included Kalkoff and because of the praise they get I expect
They are lovely bikes to ride too, as well as being very well finished and built like tanks. This motor version seems to be the problem. It has now been discontinued of course and the new one which looks quite similar but is obviously redesigned to take the power has been renamed. So maybe the Impulse name stinks in their major markets.

I don’t follow German forums but I bet they have given the Impulse 11 motor stick. Given the numbers of failures reported on this forum alone from much lower UK sales there must be a lot more there. Bosch has had its problems with motors and batteries too of course.

Tinker17

Apr 6, 2014
The strange thing is my brother bought a Kalkhoff bike in Germany, secondhand and not from a shop, had a problem with the motor took it to a kalkoff agent motor changed free of charge, and the bike was out of guarantee. It seems that all 50 cycles are interested in is our money, no wonder they keep expanding.Not a good way to run a business, beware the Dog will eventualy bite your ass.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The strange thing is my brother bought a Kalkhoff bike in Germany, secondhand and not from a shop, had a problem with the motor took it to a kalkoff agent motor changed free of charge, and the bike was out of guarantee. It seems that all 50 cycles are interested in is our money, no wonder they keep expanding.Not a good way to run a business, beware the Dog will eventualy bite your ass.
But don't forget that you have consumer rights well beyond any warranty. Products have to have a reasonable life expectation, and the courts can compensate for shortfalls, commonly up to about a six year period. Your experience is well short of a reasonable expectation of an electric assist bike, so I'm confident that a small claims court would rule in your favour in the circumstances you describe.

Unfortunately the ruling might be just for repair, which in the circumstances might only be a short term solution.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think it's reasonable to expect that if the new motor fails within two years since it's last replaced, it should be fixed for free.

Tinker17

Apr 6, 2014
It might be reasonable you would think, but thats not what 50 cycles think, 3 months is what they offer.

michael sullivan

Jun 25, 2010
I lve in Ireland I have a Wisper 905se 17 amp battery still going ok after 4 years. I think that model is discontinued , was thinking of getting a Kalhkoff but I dont like what I am reading I was thinking about Pro Conect 10 XT. They are over 3000. euros here . What dose anyone think of them. I am 76 yrs of age and have a Cube Agree carbon fiber racing bike as well . Have good few pains here and there and would like then Kalhkoff. Cheers

Tinker17

Apr 6, 2014
I lve in Ireland I have a Wisper 905se 17 amp battery still going ok after 4 years. I think that model is discontinued , was thinking of getting a Kalhkoff but I dont like what I am reading I was thinking about Pro Conect 10 XT. They are over 3000. euros here . What dose anyone think of them. I am 76 yrs of age and have a Cube Agree carbon fiber racing bike as well . Have good few pains here and there and would like then Kalhkoff. Cheers
Hi I did extensive research before I bought our bikes, and test rode them.
At no time when puchasing our bikes was any mention of the fact that unless the bikes were returned to 50 cycles to have any repairs done, we would have to pay, they would only pay for the parts, I had a argument with them, over them wanting me to pay the cost of returning the old motor.
They seem to have a lot of Glib talk, but are not interested when they have your money.
I would be surprised if they don't monitor these forums, so will be aware of these comments.
Obviously 50 Cycles don't care.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I'd heard that some of the cheaper crank driven bikes were only warranted for
4000 miles so I was a bit wary buying my first crank drive from 50 cycles.
With this in mind I specifically asked James "how long will the motor last ?"
" they'll last for ever" he replied

I did 5000 miles on my first crank drive before selling it and I am now on my second, my only regret is that at 75 I didn't get a step through, I sometimes struggle getting off.

With a 2 year warranty I do not expect it to cost me anything for 2 years.
and if anything goes wrong 50 cycles will arrange to collect it.

Just don't expect them to true a wheel while you wait :)