Alarm fitted on Q bike.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
The thought of theft protection for the Q had crossed my mind too, flecc! I've considered a motion sensing alarm for my bike, though only got as far as finding one used for laptop computers as a possible candidate: your find looks much more effective. One question though, do you expect to be within earshot when you use this alarm, and how effective do you think it would be if you were not?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's loud enough to be a deterrent even when I'm not around Stuart, especially when there are other people around since it's loud enough and unusual enough to make people look. Any would be thief would certainly feel uncomfortable at the looks he/she got. (Note the equality, female bike thieves included. :D )

I think you'll be pleased with it Ian, I'm happier now it's on. I'm thinking of making a waterproof card attached to my lock chain, proclaiming, "this bike is equipped with an alarm system" as an added deterrent to someone even trying.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
One security idea I thought of is a hidden switch in the motor cable which would (a) disconnect the motor from the controller and (b) short the 3 motor phase wires together.

I once had a controller fail that shorted just one phase of the motor, the result was like trying to ride with the front brake hard on, I had to disconnect the motor in order to pedal home. A thief trying to ride off with such a bike would not get far.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, thanks for sharing the information flecc: its always good to have these tips :)

I'm thinking of making a waterproof card attached to my lock chain, proclaiming, "this bike is equipped with an alarm system"
How about "This bike is alarmed - and so it should be after what I've done to it!" :D (the old jokes are the best!).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good idea Ian, a sort of featherweight wheel lock. The problem around the London area, and probably other places as well, are those thieves that operate with a van and lift both bikes and motor bikes. I always try to park away from roadside access where possible.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As usual with these things, I'd been a bit concerned about whether the alarm triggering was sensitive enough, that has no adjustment. I've just used the alarm for the first time this morning outside Sainsburys.

Came out with shopping, forgot about the alarm it being first time, started to undo one pannier clasp and there was an immediate warning beep reminding me.

So yes, it's sensitive enough. :)

I'd previously programmed it from the standard two warning beeps down to one, and I think I'll leave it at that, one warning's enough before blasting offender's ears!

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Perhaps a good technique would be to chain the bike in such a way it has to be moved to get at the chain, hopefuly attracting attention before the thief attempts to cut the chain.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another good idea Ian.

One thing I'd tried with the Q bike for extra security in very dodgy spots. I normally pass the chain through the small centre frame triangle just after the hinge, so I can fold the handlebars back to there and cross the chain over the stem before going round the bike stand etc.

That makes such an additional barrier I think I'll get a D lock expressly for locking the folded back stem to the frame. In addition to the chain lock that would be an absolute stumper!

Clueless

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2007
Q Bike

Flecc

I thought that bike alarm was a great addition to your newly improved bike.

I have just read with interest how you created the improved Q bike and I hope the manufactures are taking note of real peoples experience of their product.
Without innovation the rest of us are not going to benefit.

Keep the good work up

Cheers

Clueless

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks very much for the kind comment. My next project has had some preliminary work done, but that won't be ready for some while yet.

I've just come back from a trip after using the alarm, and certainly feel safer leaving the bike now. Alarms aren't something the rogues expect on a bike, and they certainly won't know how to deal with them.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Where did you get the alarm Flecc (I saw them somewhere but cant remember), I think I need to get one too?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cybernexus in the UK John.

Click the Cybernexus group link at the left, then on the next page click Bicycle Security, also on the left menu.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
different alarm ??

Its a different one than the one I was looking at here
It looks better quality, but I'm concerned about that 'Auto-Arming' thing.

Doesnt that mean if you flip the bike over the alarm will set itself?

What do you see as the main differentials?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know anything about that Timani one except that it doesn't look quite so convenient John. The auto arming isn't preset on my one, I think it's one of the several setting options but I haven't bothered with it.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Where did you get the alarm Flecc (I saw them somewhere but cant remember), I think I need to get one too?
I ordered one the same as soon as I saw Fleccs, it arrived in about 5 days.
I fitted it discreetly under the saddle, it's not been used in anger yet but I have set it off a couple of times by accidentally moving the bike. It has no keys, just 3 buttons, pressing 2 of which will arm it, disarming is done by 5 presses of the 3 buttons in a user selectable sequence. The auto arm function has to be enabled before it will work, I haven't bothered as think it would lead to false alarms.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Esure is one home insurance company which covers electrically assisted pedal cycles.