Aldi Bicycle Work Stand

D

Deleted member 4366

I have one, but I have to say that they only have limited application for ebikes. The problem is the weight of the battery and motor. If they're balanced, it's OK, but most bikes aren't balanced. so the bike rotates round into a nearly vertical attitude. The friction in the clamp isn't enough to prevent it from rotating.

It would be OK if you have a cross-bar bike with front motor and rear rack battery, or a cross-bar bike with middle motor and frame battery, etc.

Jackyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2012
Lancashire
I have one of these as I thought it would take the weight of my Agattu but it does rotate and I don't feel confident leaving it in case it crashes to the ground!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I clamp my bike, with rear motor & rack battery, either vertically on the seat-post or just ahead of it horizontally on the crossbar.
Mine stays put ok.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mine holds a 21kg rear-hub driven bike without any problems. The fulcrum point is close to the seat post but I prefer to clamp it on the crossbar although I need to be careful not to pinch the hydraulic line.

For the money, I really can't fault the bike stuff from Lidl/Aldi.

Tom

ps I should have mentioned that the 21kgs is after battery removal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Surely if you take the battery off the weight limit is fine & the balance too I would assume.
There's always something you can do. It helps a lot to remove the battery. I have one, and I use it regularly. I just wanted to point out that it has limitations. The more expensive ones with a proper indexed locking clamp don't rotate when clamped until you release the locking mechanism. They're five times the price though!

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Bought mine today, haven't opened the box yet.

They had a big stack but they were selling like hotcakes; didn't realise that there were so many people with bikes who didn't like working on them kneeling down :)

ChrisCM

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
After seeing the OP I bought one, nice bit of kit very solid, thank you for the heads up!, however did have a bit of a problem with my Kudos Tornado, if you clamp on the cross bar it fouls the gear and brake cables so you can't change gear when it is clamped up. What I must try is clamping on the seat post, only downside there is I will have to remove the rear mudguard to allow room for the clamp to fit.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Just got round to assembling mine and putting the bike on.

Seems a very well built and robust stand, so much better than the one they did last year. Only two points though even with the battery off the whisper it still really needs some weight on the front to get it to balance and the first time I put it on I had the clamp to high on the stand and nearly did myself a nasty lifting the bike that high, balance it and trying to do the clamp up at the same time/

I have thought of clamping on the seat post as that would be nearer to its point of balance but not sure whether that is structurally a good idea as my first bike had a frame failure there ~ although it obviously wouldn't be too bad if I put the seat right down.

C

Cyclezee

Hi the_killjoy,

How does the newer one differ from those sold last year?

I have 2 bought from Lidl about 3 years go and on occasion use both, e.g. when working on a tandem.

They were never designed to cope with the extra weight of electric bikes, but for the money I can't fault them.

D

Deleted member 4366

I still think that the best ones are the hoists with pulleys for £5. Change the string to proper 6mm rope and they're really good. The supplied string keeps jumping off the pulleys and jamming down the sides.

C

Cyclezee

I still think that the best ones are the hoists with pulleys for £5. Change the string to proper 6mm rope and they're really good. The supplied string keeps jumping off the pulleys and jamming down the sides.
Yes but the rope will cost extra then add to that the cost of a new ceiling:(

Only joking Dave;)

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
The ones last year seemed to be designed to be bolted to a wall rather than the free standing one.

last year:

http://glasgowmbc.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/stand.jpg
I like the storage stand on the photo. Found it under the name Racor or Prostor double bike stand but only for sale in USA. After a lot of googling found it on German store under the name Powertools bike stand.
48 EUR postage inclusive to Belgium is OK. Bought it.