Aldi Special buys Thurs 16th Sept - cycling gear

real_ale

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2010
I've never tried the cycling kit before but I think I'm going to get some and give it a go as it seems great value for money for the casual cyclist. The winter gloves look good - windproof, waterproof and breathable for £4.99! Has anyone used the Aldi stuff before, if so what do you think of it?
Thanks, Mark

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've never tried the cycling kit before but I think I'm going to get some and give it a go as it seems great value for money for the casual cyclist. The winter gloves look good - windproof, waterproof and breathable for £4.99! Has anyone used the Aldi stuff before, if so what do you think of it?
Thanks, Mark
Thanks for the info. I find Aldi gear very good. I bought my last lot in 2008, use it daily through the winter and it still hasn't fallen to pieces. I'm sure it will last this coming winter too.

real_ale

Jul 20, 2010
Aldi

I'll give the cycling hangar a miss then as so many of you have them still in the box! I did think - Oh that might come in useful - but then common sense kicked in!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I like the Lidl bike sales, basically because there is a store every half mile more or less throughout London, and the clothes/ shorts/ trousers actually fit a 17 stone man:eek:

Lycra shorts and trousers @ £5 and winter gloves and fingerless gloves under £5 as well.....much the same as Aldi I guess and quality good for the money.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I've purchased cycling gear from Aldi and Lidl in the past and on the whole it is good stuff for the money. I have got some more expensive gear, but to be honest alot of it (shorts padding aside!) isn't noticebly much different from the cheaper stuff. Mind you with all cheap gear, it's more of an issue of conscience regarding where/how its made, etc and by whom...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Mind you with all cheap gear, it's more of an issue of conscience regarding where/how its made, etc and by whom...
Yes, I've heard it said that when child labour is used, the quality of the workmanship does tend to suffer.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've just been down to replenish bits that wore out last winter. Since my last shopping spree in there a couple of years ago the general quality is better but the price has gone up to match, the waterproof jacket thankfully now has vents.
The heart rate monitor seems really good with the training zones and a bike mount, the instructions won't win a plain English award though. I have now got my first cycling bib, gave the wife a laugh. :)

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I have now got my first cycling bib, gave the wife a laugh. :)
You shouldn't really be eating whilst riding, although with the state of the roads no wonder you are spilling your dinner over yourself and need a bib.
Now you can use your bike storage hanger to hang all your new goodies from - a use for it at last.:D

Colin

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The heart rate monitor seems really good with the training zones and a bike mount, the instructions won't win a plain English award though.
Yes, I tackled those instructions this evening and was up and monitoring within the hour - just! :eek:.

My favourite line - "The following basic principle does, however, apply: everything comfortable is healthy."

I retired to the sofa and put the telly on.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Now you can use your bike storage hanger to hang all your new goodies from - a use for it at last.:D

Colin
I already have a roof mounted bike hangar and a wall mounted bike hangar, neither of which has ever been used. Despite that I still found myself coveting the floor mounted bike stand in the shop. :rolleyes:

real_ale

Jul 20, 2010
I couldnt resist the heart rate monitor as well, but it took me ages to decipher the instructions too! Had a brisk walk today as it was very windy so decided to leave the bike but will try it out tomorrow on the bike if the weather is better:)

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i got the winter jacket,shirt ,trousers and gloves...no intentions of riding in the rain !!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I couldnt resist the heart rate monitor as well, but it took me ages to decipher the instructions too! Had a brisk walk today as it was very windy so decided to leave the bike but will try it out tomorrow on the bike if the weather is better:)
Does the heart rate monitor come with a chest band?

Thanks

Tom

real_ale

Jul 20, 2010
Does the heart rate monitor come with a chest band?

Thanks

Tom
Hi Tom,
yes it does come with a chest band, and a bracket for fastening the watch onto bike handlebars to make it easier to see while cycling. It seems good quality for the price.

Mark

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The heart rate monitor is fantastic....until I try riding the bike when it promptly reads zero. :mad:
It's good for checking heart rate at the traffic lights.

real_ale

Jul 20, 2010
The heart rate monitor is fantastic....until I try riding the bike when it promptly reads zero. :mad:
It's good for checking heart rate at the traffic lights.
Sounds strange - mines been fine, could it be slipping or moving as you lean forward into the handlebars but coming back into place if you sit up straighter at the lights? Try putting a bit more water ont the chest sensor it says that improves the connection I put mine on dry at first and it didnt work until I realised it needs to be a bit wet or use some ECG gel - I assume its some sort of medical gel.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Tried mine today and works fine once it's warmed up. Plenty of sweat keeps the chest strap contact strong. Put some effort in Mussels..:D