Alien Gents Special and Synergie Mistral

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
These are almost identically priced and seem to live next door to each other and I wondered if anyone had a view on how they stack up against each other. With my very limited knowledge the Alien seems to have a better motor, 250Watt and Brushless but an identical battery - in practice does this make a very big difference? I am not interested in speed; range and climbing moderate stuff is more important to me.

Pete

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
There are two significant differences in the machines

The Mistral has the battery mounted in the frame, behind the seat tube. This means there is only room for a single chainwheel so the Mistral has only six road gears.

The Alien bike has a rack mounted battery which leaves room for a triple chainwheel giving it twentyone speeds, the motor is in the front wheel for the same reason.

One thing worth noting, the Alien bike is big...21" to the top of the seat tube (18" on the Mistral). Bob states that anyone from 5' 5" to 6' 4" can ride it, As a matter of interest I have a friend who is 5' 5" and he can only just manage the Mistral...even then I have to fit a plain (unsprung) seatpost when he uses it.

Synergie Bikes is a full time company with a phone line manned during office hours.

Alien Ocean is a part time thing operated by Bob who also has a day job. Yes, they are both on the same trading estate but I've no idea what the relationship is.

Regards
Bob

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
One thing worth noting, the Alien bike is big...21" to the top of the seat tube (18" on the Mistral). Bob states that anyone from 5' 5" to 6' 4" can ride it, As a matter of interest I have a friend who is 5' 5" and he can only just manage the Mistral...even then I have to fit a plain (unsprung) seatpost when he uses it.
Well I am 6ft so that shouldn't be a problem but is there any particular significance in it being a larger frame than most others?

Synergie Bikes is a full time company with a phone line manned during office hours.

Alien Ocean is a part time thing operated by Bob who also has a day job. Yes, they are both on the same trading estate but I've no idea what the relationship is.
Well, you do wonder sometimes. I sent an email today to Alien and Synergie, during working hours and Alien replied almost at once and Synergie just a little later, but still very quickly. In contrast I sent an email yesterday morning to a 'mainstream' supplier and have still not had a response. Now there may well be a good reason for this and maybe it isn't the norm so I won't name the company.

I take it though Bob that you are quite happy with your Mistral?

Regards
Pete

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks Bob, that was a good thread for me to browse.
I had done a search on the forum but hadn't turned that one up for some reason. One thing it has done is make me consider the maroon colour, your bike looked very smart, I hadn't fancied it and was going for the blue, but now...........................The other thing that interested me was your use of a second battery. The Alien wouldn't lend itself to such a neat arrangement as the rack is already used for the main battery. My use is solely leisure, a lot off road, not commuting, so the possibility of extending the range in such a neat way has a lot of attraction.
Thanks

Pete

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
Alien Bikes

Well Bob did Tweet back along:
"Alien goes Global! Ok, not quite but by the end of September we'll be into a new industrial and our ads will appear in a number of mags."

And I notice 'Jim' is now dealing with sales etc seemingly full time, so I would imaging his excellent customer service can only get better.

I'm sure the Synergie guys and Bob are good friends and help each other but their businesses are separate entities.

My Alien kit has been flawless since May this year being now on it's second bike!

terry