Alien GS II problem

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I managed to speak to Roy from the workshop at Alien this afternoon. After doing a pretty thorough diagnosis over the telephone (poor bloke, not an easy thing to do), he is of the opinion that it is not likely to be associated to the brake lever cut out cable that had popped out. His opinion is that it is more likely a problem with the controller box situated just in front of the battery. Having visually checked this there is nothing obviusly amiss (no lose leads etc...,) which leaves the only option for Alien to send through a replacement contrller box & brake lever / cut off switch.

Biggest pity is that they do not currently have any controller boxes in stock, so I will need to wait.

Having patiently waited over the winter for the warmer weather to arrive I am now (temporarily at least) without my intended car replacement :( :(

At least I have my camper van til the bike gets fixed :)

verntern

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2010
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Good post Rus, have been following this thread as a newcomer wanting to buy a first electric bike. I am learning all the time! Firstly what a super forum this is with so much good advice regarding problems. Secondly, that Alien seem to respond to after-sales problems in a refreshing one-to-one way instead of the robotic call centres. I like the spec of the Alien Gents II. Hoping that they are in stock again soon with the spare part you need and more bikes so I can order one! Mmmmmm - council tax, car insurance and energy bills hindering ambitions at the moment!

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Good post Rus, have been following this thread as a newcomer wanting to buy a first electric bike. I am learning all the time! Firstly what a super forum this is with so much good advice regarding problems. Secondly, that Alien seem to respond to after-sales problems in a refreshing one-to-one way instead of the robotic call centres. I like the spec of the Alien Gents II. Hoping that they are in stock again soon with the spare part you need and more bikes so I can order one! Mmmmmm - council tax, car insurance and energy bills hindering ambitions at the moment!
Thanks Vernon. I just hope I can get it sorted swiftly. I have looked longingly at the bike & the snow for much of the winter waiting for the brighter days, then just as I start to properly use it........

I will keep this thread updated as I hope it's useful for potential buyers to get an insight into the bike itself, but also the after sales response from companies such as Alien which IMHO is a crucial aspect of any e-bike purchase.

Sorry again to postpone your trip over, I will of course let you know as soon as I am back on the road.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I managed to speak to Roy from the workshop at Alien this afternoon.

Funny! you know my wife purchased a synergie last week! Now synergie and Alien are fairly close to each other(as the crow flies) seems funny that the engineer at Synergie is also called Roy:confused:

neilmeansneil

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
If you check out the Alien website, the latest news states that Alien has taken over Synergie which might explain the multiple Roys.
Taken from website

March 2010 News

AlienOcean have taken over the assets of the Fife based "Synergie" Brand and will now be marketing under both the Alien and Synergie brands.

All future Synergie bikes will be designed and manufactured by AlienOcean and will bear the "Designed By Bob" logo. Warehousing and Support will be consolidated over the next few weeks but, in the meantime, sales and online support of both brands will be undertaken by AlienOcean staff.

The first "Synergie by AlienOcean" bikes will be on sale in approximately two months and will have Suzhou Bafang motors, 36v 10Ah Battery Pack and will be to European Standard EN15194.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If you check out the Alien website, the latest news states that Alien has taken over Synergie which might explain the multiple Roys.
Taken from website

March 2010 News

AlienOcean have taken over the assets of the Fife based "Synergie" Brand and will now be marketing under both the Alien and Synergie brands.

All future Synergie bikes will be designed and manufactured by AlienOcean and will bear the "Designed By Bob" logo. Warehousing and Support will be consolidated over the next few weeks but, in the meantime, sales and online support of both brands will be undertaken by AlienOcean staff.

The first "Synergie by AlienOcean" bikes will be on sale in approximately two months and will have Suzhou Bafang motors, 36v 10Ah Battery Pack and will be to European Standard EN15194.
Thanks Neil, that explains it. So will that mean that I will or won`t get support for Annes Synergie Breeze???

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
it implies that support for both brands would come from Alien Ocean. As this of the two companies seemed to be the more reponsive one I think its a win for all concerned. The two companies have apparently always been linked anyway.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
it implies that support for both brands would come from Alien Ocean. As this of the two companies seemed to be the more reponsive one I think its a win for all concerned. The two companies have apparently always been linked anyway.
Yeh! just a bit worrying that they are changing the models and a short wait would have seen her with a Barfang motor:( Mind you, the Breeze does seem to be a great bike, she loves it so that`s all that matters and in the end nothing goes on forever.

verntern

Mar 12, 2010
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Enquired with Alien Ocean when the next consignment of Gents Special II would be in stock. Reply from Bob. 'Equivalent bikes in stock around first week in May'. Equivalent? Maybe another revamp? Rebadging? Chuckle Gents Special III?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I've joined the dead Alien club! :( The bike lost all power after a long 10~12% climb yesterday evening, all lights went out. Cycled the on/off switch and the lights came back on but as soon as the throttle was touched everything went out again... I've carried out all the usual checks, fuse, battery, volts to the controller, connections, short ccts etc. but no dice, its dead. Looks like I'll be needing a new controller as well. I had to ride the bike for 6miles back without power, not a pleasant task.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I've joined the dead Alien club! :( The bike lost all power after a long 10~12% climb yesterday evening, all lights went out. Cycled the on/off switch and the lights came back on but as soon as the throttle was touched everything went out again... I've carried out all the usual checks, fuse, battery, volts to the controller, connections, short ccts etc. but no dice, its dead. Looks like I'll be needing a new controller as well. I had to ride the bike for 6miles back without power, not a pleasant task.
That wasn`t the kit then? but the Gents special?

Just think how fit you are going to be:D

All joking aside thats a bit of a bummer. I`ve been deciding whether to get rid of my VW transporter now I`m almost retired but when I go out the wife is normally in and can bring the van. For peace of mind might be worth paying the tax and insurance and keeping it.
Keep us informed as to what happens.

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
I am thinking of getting an Alien Unisex bike but this series of posts have caused me to reflect! I have a Lafree (5 years old) which nothing has ever gone wrong (except a duff battery charger) I would like a throttle/pedelec bike & this bike is the only one in my price range.

Derrick - Llanberis

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't let it put you off, these are very good value bikes with good support. Just because a few of use are vocal on the forum doesn't mean these bikes have a problem in some way or are especially unreliable.

Kalimbakey

I am thinking of getting an Alien Unisex bike but this series of posts have caused me to reflect!
As a potential buyer, this forum must be priceless to you when things like this happen Derrick. I think Rus and NRG have had their Alien's a bit longer than me - So far, no problems with the controller or electrics but I am going to be wary of the possibility of this as mine is probably identical.:(

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
As a potential buyer, this forum must be priceless to you when things like this happen Derrick. I think Rus and NRG have had their Alien's a bit longer than me - So far, no problems with the controller or electrics but I am going to be wary of the possibility of this as mine is probably identical.:(
Kali

I wouldn`t panic on it. the first bike I purchased is actually probably the only one in the country, no body has heard of it but they were sure quick to tell me it was rubbish and now many miles down the road it is still as was running perfect.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Kali

I wouldn`t panic on it. the first bike I purchased is actually probably the only one in the country, no body has heard of it but they were sure quick to tell me it was rubbish and now many miles down the road it is still as was running perfect.
It's a question of averages, one of the dearest of e-bikes can have an early failure and one of the cheapest ones can be reliable for a long time.

Judged in numbers though the true picture emerges over time. Alien for example only short while ago had a large number of battery failures, fortunately quickly changed by the supplier, but now we have the new controller issues. We also hear the forthcoming supplies of bikes won't necessarily be the same, similar to the situation not long ago when buyers didn't know whether they would receive a brush motor or a brushless from them.

By contrast, the Panasonic units used in many modern bikes and in Derrick's Lafree have an enviable record of reliability dating from 2001 with only one model change. They aren't cheap, but in the long run they pay off.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
By contrast, the Panasonic units used in many modern
bikes and in Derrick's Lafree have an enviable record of reliability dating from 2001 with only one model change. They aren't cheap, but in the long run they pay off..
I used to work in the TV industry as an engineer and Panasonic broadcast stuff always seemed to be good reliable workhorses if not as "innovative" as Sony (which was prone to all manner of teething troubles) - I expect this philosophy has carried through to their other equipment.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Well, I`ve had several Panasonic TV`s and now this recent 37" plasma that is just a dream machine. Lots and lots of other panasonic gear over the years and never had a problem(fingers crossed) So if there e bike gear is similar then it must be very good. It is the sort of name that in general you can trust.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It's a question of averages, one of the dearest of e-bikes can have an early failure and one of the cheapest ones can be reliable for a long time.

Judged in numbers though the true picture emerges over time. Alien for example only short while ago had a large number of battery failures, fortunately quickly changed by the supplier, but now we have the new controller issues. We also hear the forthcoming supplies of bikes won't necessarily be the same, similar to the situation not long ago when buyers didn't know whether they would receive a brush motor or a brushless from them.

By contrast, the Panasonic units used in many modern bikes and in Derrick's Lafree have an enviable record of reliability dating from 2001 with only one model change. They aren't cheap, but in the long run they pay off.
The true picture only emerges over time if you have access to all the data, you don't have that here on this forum. I'm sure the Panasonic units are very good but again you don't have all the data. The Alien bikes come in at a price point where there is likely to be variance in the specification of the product supplied and, yes, the possibilities of issues due to those variables is real but that is no different from many many other suppliers who's bikes cost many £££ more and many top line manufacturers in other industries have proved they are not infallible...Toyota?

Flecc your post comes across as damming of the Alien product to potential buyers which I feel needs defending. Because they have now sold out (an indication of a good product pitched and priced correctly for the target market but of poor forecasting and planning) it should not be seen as negative but as a success... and just because the new stock may differ from the old stock it too should not be seen as a negative, the opportunity is now there for Alien to improve upon the existing product of which I'm sure they will do.