Almost decided. Or have I?

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Glad to be of help (and influence) Another couple of changes ('improvements' I have made was to reduce the width of the handlebars. I took of 25mm each side. Too wide (for me) and now feels a bit more sporty. I changed the sprocket from the supplied 16 to a 19. That lowered the whole gear range by about 20%. Gears on almost all supplied bikes seem far too high to me. I actually now wish I had fitted a 20, but may in time to come reduce the chainring by a couple of teeth.
Attached is a picture of my previous bike, a Gilles Berthoud. I sold it but kept the saddle, a Brooks Swallow for possible future use.

Attachments

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I've done it. Its ordered...

Took out the CUBE Reaction Hybrid for a test today. I've not cycled in about a year (except around All Terrain Cycles' car park!) Rode 25 miles with about 1000 ft of climbing in there. (Now my bum hurts but my legs are fine)

What a bike! Every hill I went up was a breeze. The steep road to my house may as well have been flattened - a passer by gawped as I shot up the hill at 15mph!

I was going to go for the hybrid race allroad but it is out of stock - everywhere. Apparently because cube have such a huge range they only make small numbers.

After a long discussion with the guys in the shop I ordered a Reaction hybrid HPA race 500. This is probably one of the longest bike names I've ever seen.

It doesn't have the mudguards and lights but it does have the CX motor and the big battery. It also has more gears.

So, within a week or two I'll be all e-biked up and ready to go.

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Great to hear.

I'm thinking of getting a Cube reaction hpa hybrid pro 500 (couldn't they have made the name any shorter?!).

How was the battery after your test ride?

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
The battery was pretty low to be honest. I didn't spend all my time in Turbo, I even turned it off -briefly.

I think it'll take me time to get an efficient riding style sorted.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that pretty much killed my batt from my m8 garmin and he rides every day.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you sick tomorrow then :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Got a message from the shop. It's here!

I get my new toy tomorrow.
I don't think I'll be able to finish work soon enough.
Haha me too!!

Mine comes tomorrow :)

We should confer before asking any stupid questions lol!

Enjoy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just make sure you put the handle bars up the right way ,pre load the stem with the top bolt when in line with the wheel then tighten the stem bolts.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Me too!

Had to put it together, was missing the quick release for the front but I used the one from my road bike.

All set, took it for a spin and holy crap it's fast. I'd already cycled 25 miles today on the road bike and the hill where I live is steep and long. On the road bike it takes about 10 mins. I was up it and down it in no time then came back up and the speed I went past other cyclists was utterly ridiculous!

Will do a proper review but really impressed!

The front pads are binding. Tried losening the calliper and pulling the brake then tightening but still doing it. Any ideas?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Sorry - what should I do with the battery?

Just charge and use or run out then recharge?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
1st off never remove the calliper and pull the brake as this will close the pads even further together.

remove the calliper and the pads and push the pistons back inside the calliper till there flush inside. use a screwdriver with some cardboard around it.

then replace the pads and fit to the fork and adjust so its not rubbing on the brake rotor.

bed in the pads on a long steep hill a few times then re adjust the calliper if needed and should no longer rub on the disc rotor.

battery you can charge and use tho if not using it charge to 60%

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Understood about the calliper thanks :)

If you loosen the bolts holding the calliper so that it can move a bit, then press the brake it's supposed to re-centre the calliper... Then tighten.. And all good. According to YouTube anyway ;)

Reactions: soundwave