Alternative to Urban Mover UM24?

lolbees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2008
Hi and help !,

I have had an order placed with Urban Mover for a UM24 since early October '08. This was done for me by by Halfords through the Cycle 2 Work Scheme that my company offers its employees. I have been left repeatedly frustrated by an ever moving delivery date which has changed from November to December to the first week of January '09. I am now being told that Urban Mover expect the shipment to arrive the 3rd week of January '09. I have my doubts. Indeed I wonder if the credit crunch has bitten UM....

As per previous threads I have read here, it is virtually impossible to contact Urban Mover directly due to staff being in "meetings" etc which is really annoying.

Therefore after much reluctance I am seriously thinking of cancelling my order and looking at alternative folding e-bikes. I am limited to the choice of using Halfords' affiliated companies it has arrangements with for e-bikes (the other being Electric Bike Sales). The Greenedge Silverado looks a possibility - does anyone have any thoughts on this or alternatives and indeed Urban Mover?

My cycle to work is 5.5 miles each way in East London using the bus lanes and I currently use a folding Dahon Speed 7.

Lolbees

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I'm not the expert on those folders, but given your relatively short journey in a flat area, I would have thought most bikes would do the job. Critical issue with folders is to make sure they have high enough gears to enable you to do whatever pedalling you might want to do.

Urbanmover has had a poor reputation not just on this forum but with dealers who have stopped stocking their products as they have not been able to communicate wtih them either. I would advise avoiding them until such time as they prove they have changed.

If you ask them, Halfords can usually get most bikes, but you may need to push. Powacycle and Wisper are suppliers who have proven more reliable and have folders in their ranges. The Ezee Quando has a good reputation, although no gears. I'm sure others will have better informed opinions on folders.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
I had an experience with my order for an Urban Mover in 2007 where I ordered from a large bike shop in the west country as I was down there for a few weeks.

I ordered in Jun 07 and after loads of promises still no bike in Dec 07 decided to cancel the order.

The bike shop did what they could but still nothing came , so cancelled , refund of deposit and decided to get an Ezee Torq --no looking back.

There have been several posts about after sales service with UM, so make up your own mind.

I did and glad I did!

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I'm not the expert on those folders, but given your relatively short journey in a flat area, I would have thought most bikes would do the job. Critical issue with folders is to make sure they have high enough gears to enable you to do whatever pedalling you might want to do.

Urbanmover has had a poor reputation not just on this forum but with dealers who have stopped stocking their products as they have not been able to communicate wtih them either. I would advise avoiding them until such time as they prove they have changed.

If you ask them, Halfords can usually get most bikes, but you may need to push. Powacycle and Wisper are suppliers who have proven more reliable and have folders in their ranges. The Ezee Quando has a good reputation, although no gears. I'm sure others will have better informed opinions on folders.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

having had a Quando i can say i had a fantastic time with it..on and off the train no troubles, although hull to doncaster isnt a busy route...if you are happy to travel at 15.5mph without pedaling,up light hills and down dale, and into all but the strongest of wind then its perfect...carries ANYTHING..20 miles of throttle only use..probably nearer 30 miles if you want to pedal a bit too although pedaling is down to 12.5 mph...i wish i still had mine for my local jobbing...

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Hi and help !,

I have had an order placed with Urban Mover for a UM24 since early October '08. This was done for me by by Halfords through the Cycle 2 Work Scheme that my company offers its employees. I have been left repeatedly frustrated by an ever moving delivery date which has changed from November to December to the first week of January '09. I am now being told that Urban Mover expect the shipment to arrive the 3rd week of January '09. I have my doubts. Indeed I wonder if the credit crunch has bitten UM....

As per previous threads I have read here, it is virtually impossible to contact Urban Mover directly due to staff being in "meetings" etc which is really annoying.

Therefore after much reluctance I am seriously thinking of cancelling my order and looking at alternative folding e-bikes. I am limited to the choice of using Halfords' affiliated companies it has arrangements with for e-bikes (the other being Electric Bike Sales). The Greenedge Silverado looks a possibility - does anyone have any thoughts on this or alternatives and indeed Urban Mover?

My cycle to work is 5.5 miles each way in East London using the bus lanes and I currently use a folding Dahon Speed 7.

Lolbees
Hi.
why not fit a kit to your Dahon (make a lovely bike)

JOHN

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I'm fairly certain that Halfords also source via the Electric Transport Shop who I believe have a very good range of machines.

lolbees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2008
Many thanks for all the responses. In the end I decided to take a trip down to The Electric Bike Shop in Camden and tried out a Greenedge Blackstar and Silverado. I'm only just over 5'6" yet found the Blackstar too low for me (handlebars couldn't be extended very much). I decided to go for the Silverado and picked it up yesterday so will post a full review on here shortly but am very impressed with its power, ease of use and quality.

Just a mention to The Electric Bike Shop - extremely helpful, patient, good advice and were really good in liaising with Halfords over my Cycle 2 Work voucher

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I'm only just over 5'6" yet found the Blackstar too low for me (handlebars couldn't be extended very much).
That's interesting; I am 5'11" and find the Blackstar handlebars only a fraction too low. I guess different people prefer different riding positions.
I look forward to your review. We GreenEdge owners are in a very small minority around here.