Am I being unreasonable?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
i'd have considered it unreasonable had it been a old lady or gent or even a young lad in normal clothes or workwear clearly going to work or college on a MTB or hybrid (and all these would probably have been more likely to let you past anyway). Roads are a shared resource funded by all of us by VAT, PAYE and other taxes (so we pay whether or not we drive), they are not someones private fitness gym equipment or racetrack (and that goes for gary boys in cars as well..)

where I live roads aren't normally that narrow but there's a lot of on street partking and normally I do let a car past if possible and safe for both of us to do so...

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Today, I happen to drive the car down the same lane which is quite steep as well as being narrow, and came face to face with a car coming up the hill. The driver seemed reluctant to reverse to find a place to pass, so I was forced to reverse back up the hill a few hundred yards to find a spot to allow him to get by. Having done that the driver made no gesture of thanks and continued to drive one handed with his other arm resting on top of the open window. When I continued my journey down the hill I came back to where we first met and found a spot where he could have reversed off the road within yards! To use your analogy, is that drivers' attitude to other road users (well to me) giving all drivers a bad name and tarred with the same brush?

Chris
Of course the driver may have thought you discourteous as you didn't give him his right of way going up the hill. Just a thought.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Well that is interesting, having just spent a week in deepest darkest Cornwall in the camper in a field that was at the end of several miles of single track road, I was recalling the question about who has right of way (and I use the term loosely) up a hill, as on one occasion I was about 1/3 of the way up the hill when a car came down the hill (faster than I can manage in the camper) and refused to reverse back up the hill. I was sure that vehicles going up the hill had priority - something to do with it being easier to control a vehicle in reverse up a hill than down if I recall - so I spent a couple of minutes begrudgingly nursing my 40 year old VW down a narrow hill... not that I minded too much as I was also in holiday mode.

Highway code rule 155 has this to say:

Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

So for me to assert that the cyclist has right of way (I should stop using that and say 'has priority' instead) was no more correct than the assertion that driving up hill gives you priority. He should have pulled in if possible and you should slow down to over take which would have been incompatible goals when trying to overtake a cyclist doing 25/30mph, but there was no MUST pull in, no MUST give way up hill, in the code, so these are the things we should do where applicable/safe etc.

I will certainly bear this in mind if I am ever cycling on a narrow country lane at speed! I wouldn't hesitate to pull in when going slowly, but at speed, probably not. On the other hand I think if I pulled in in the camper expecting someone behind me to over take, they would probably pull up behind me and start beeping their horn wondering what I am doing!

The way the highway code is written it's all very chummy and feels all 'why can't we just get along'. Probably a product of when it was written. When motorists were proper chaps with driving gloves and goggles and cars were a lot slower to accelerate and stop (like my camper).

I think in answer to your question, no, your weren't being unreasonable, but then I don't think, from my understanding of the situation, that the cyclist was being unreasonable either. Unless of course you are talking about the desire to wear Lycra - that is unreasonable. :D

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree with you about the my right of way issue. London used to be a place where this was less of an issue and drivers would make room at junctions or let you out from side roads if they were stationary or moving slowly. I went to live in Plymouth and the driving was very different as it seemed everybody took their right of way regardless of the situation. It took me by surprise but now in London it is much the same. One bugbear I have is trying to get out of a side road turning right - it would cost the driver coming from your left also turning right nothing to let you out but the my right of way attitude comes into full force.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
On the other hand I think if I pulled in in the camper expecting someone behind me to over take, they would probably pull up behind me and start beeping their horn wondering what I am doing! :D
The trick here is to indicate to pull in to the passing place while at the same time waving the car behind on, if possible - I think most drivers would get that.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
There are laws and rules and there is common sense.

I don`t mind if you break the laws or rules but I really get peed off when people break the common sense rule.

Steve

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Two laws:
1. You're out of order...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
...and