An offer too good to refuse?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the one musicbook was offered is this one (2014):

John's link to the surosa.co.uk website is the older model with BionX motor.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
that one has the old BionX motor.
There will be tears come new battery time if it is that one. I don't know if the situation is still the same, but BionX used to have a very greedy replacement battery pricing structure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There will be tears come new battery time if it is that one. I don't know if the situation is still the same, but BionX used to have a very greedy replacement battery pricing structure.
It may have eased a bit, the 36 volt 9.6 Ah is on sale in the USA for $750, down about 25% on what it was.

So the UK price for it that was £1050 may now be lower. Even if down to circa £750 that's still horribly expensive for a smallish capacity battery.

C

Cyclezee

It may have eased a bit, the 36 volt 9.6 Ah is on sale in the USA for $750, down about 25% on what it was.

So the UK price for it that was £1050 may now be lower. Even if down to circa £750 that's still horribly expensive for a smallish capacity battery.
and people think eZee batteries are expensive, 36v 11Ah Sony 18650 cells with 2 year warranty £330 including delivery.

Reactions: superDove

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is the BionX battery software locked in some way? I seem to remember that it was, meaning that they had a captive market to exploit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That I don't know Tillson. Their original NiMh battery was similarly expensive, but the reason for that was that they uniquely at that time had them made in Germany to very high standards when Germany was a very expensive place to buy from.

That changed when the German factory burnt to the ground, but when switching manufacture to the Far East they exported the high prices as well.

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought the "P" stood for Panasonic motor. Is that not so or is someone pulling a fast one?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That I don't know Tillson. Their original NiMh battery was similarly expensive, but the reason for that was that they uniquely at that time had them made in Germany to very high standards when Germany was a very expensive place to buy from.

That changed when the German factory burnt to the ground, but when switching manufacture to the Far East they exported the high prices as well.
I've just done a quick search on hear because something in my memory told me that you could only replace the battery with a proprietary BionX. The result of the search indicates that they use a system called CAN-bus. I've a vague idea what this is and the opinion at the time was that non BionX batteries would not work. Sorry I've lost the link now, but it's easy to search.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Tillson, that rings a bell now, I've heard it mentioned before.

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
Its not going to be a bike we make in 2015, and demand is high. We've only got a couple of sizes left. No need for dealers to discount KTM to sell them.

You won't find KTMs discounted in the UK. So I'd get in fast.
i just brought the same bike off ebay from a shop. it has no charger. do you sell 48v bionx charger?
Also anyone looking for a cheap new bike search on ebay
KTM klima aktiv mobil city
its brand new but no charger. he is willing to take £700
i know as i brought my ktm ecross brand new no charger for £700

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
The shop in Woksop sells loads of different bike most brand new, as my one is. They deal with bankrupt stock. check they ebay account and see for yourself.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Also anyone looking for a cheap new bike search on ebay
KTM klima aktiv mobil city
Just did that & found this linked item.

Notice they state:-

BUT THE BIKE / BATTERY AS GOT VERY SMALL CHARGE INBUT MORE YOU PEDAL MORE CHARGE GOES IN
SO SHOWS THE BATTERY FINE PLEASE LOOK ON GOOGLE AT THE BIONX KITS LOADS OF MONEYTO GET THIS UP AND RUNNING FOR CHARGER THERE £24.99 ON EBAY

Are they really regen?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
bikes being sold with no charger, are generally stolen... why else would there be no charger?
Not necessarily true,it may just be that the motor is knackered so they hide the charger and empty the battery so you cant test it :eek:

tony2311

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2014
The connection is funny didnt take chance and order original from bionxuk for £70 delivered. Go and have a look it is brand new and pedal is not fitted yet.
and all gear and tyres no wear on it