Anorexic in recovery :)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm from Manchester. I have suffered from anorexia for the last 10 years and I've missed out on life as an adult. I've recently started recovery and I thought cycling would be perfect to help me become more active and outgoing. I bought a Brompton folding bike last year without realising that unfortunately I don't have the strength to ride it.

My target is to get better and be able to ride my Brompton. Until then I don't want to miss out on the joys of cycling hence I decided to buy an electric bike. I purchased my electric bike from sports direct and it was delivered yesterday and I'm hoping to get it assembled tomorrow :) I'm just so unbelievably excited :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Welcome, good luck with your recovery. An electric bike should be perfect because it takes so little effort to make progress, I can ride miles on mine when I wouldn't have the energy to walk down the road.

The trick to getting out is to not have a plan of where you're going to go, just go out with the intention of rolling along down the road, and if you don't feel up to it turn back at the end.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Welcome, good luck with your recovery. An electric bike should be perfect because it takes so little effort to make progress, I can ride miles on mine when I wouldn't have the energy to walk down the road.

The trick to getting out is to not have a plan of where you're going to go, just go out with the intention of rolling along down the road, and if you don't feel up to it turn back at the end.
Thank you Artstu :) I have yet to ride the bicycle but the thing I'm worried about is the bicycle might be too heavy for me at 24kg. I currently weigh 34kg and I'm also scared it might be too fast at the lowest setting :( I've only ever ridden on the road twice with an instructor and I don't feel too confident.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You need somewhere quiet to practice, I've been riding bikes since a very young un, so riding comes easily.

Is this the bike? http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

An elderly friend had a folding e-bike and when he set off on a slight incline gravity took him to one side before the motor kicked in, then he was out of control, both scary and amusing at the same time.

If it has a throttle you could set off with your feet off the pedals until you get used to it. Another thing to remember, now this is important, is that when you stop pedalling the motor keeps powering, that can catch you out. However a quick pull on either brake kills the power to the motor, that's assuming it works in the same way, which I believe it will.

One positive is that it should have a low centre of gravity which should make it easier to handle.

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
You need somewhere quiet to practice, I've been riding bikes since a very young un, so riding comes easily.

Is this the bike? http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

An elderly friend had a folding e-bike and when he set off on a slight incline gravity took him to one side before the motor kicked in, then he was out of control, both scary and amusing at the same time.

If it has a throttle you could set off with your feet off the pedals until you get used to it. Another thing to remember, now this is important, is that when you stop pedalling the motor keeps powering, that can catch you out. However a quick pull on either brake kills the power to the motor, that's assuming it works in the same way, which I believe it will.

One positive is that it should have a low centre of gravity which should make it easier to handle.
Thank you for such a helpful reply :) Yes that's my bike. It doesn't have a throttle because as far as I've been told, the motor turns itself off when you stop pedalling. I'm scared and excited at the same time :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hopefully the motor will kick in quickly as you start to pedal, there will be a short delay, and that's when you will really feel the weight of the bike. and there will be a delay in the motor stopping when you stop pedalling, so remember the brake will stop the motor instantly.

Good luck, have they assembled it yet?

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Hopefully the motor will kick in quickly as you start to pedal, there will be a short delay, and that's when you will really feel the weight of the bike. and there will be a delay in the motor stopping when you stop pedalling, so remember the brake will stop the motor instantly.

Good luck, have they assembled it yet?
Thank you <3 My brother in law assembled it for me this morning. But I was afraid he might not have done it properly so I called a mobile bike mechanic who will be coming this evening to do a safety check and pressurise the tyres for £17. I should be able to ride it tomorrow if all goes well :)

Reactions: Artstu

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Did you order it via my link I posted a couple of days ago?

Hope you enjoy your ride. It is a shame I used to live in Manchester so I could assemble the bike for your for free. :D

In the future, you could covert your brompton to electric if do not want to miss the fun of the electric bike. I have converted one by myself and I totally love it.

Pat

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Did you order it via my link I posted a couple of days ago?

Hope you enjoy your ride. It is a shame I used to live in Manchester so I could assemble the bike for your for free. :D

In the future, you could covert your brompton to electric if do not want to miss the fun of the electric bike. I have converted one by myself and I totally love it.

Pat
Hi, I ordered via a link shared on hotukdeals :) I was considering converting my brompton but it was just too expensive for my budget (~£800). I might consider it in the future when I can justify the cost. Thank you for your kindness :)

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi, I ordered via a link shared on hotukdeals :) I was considering converting my brompton but it was just too expensive for my budget (~£800). I might consider it in the future when I can justify the cost. Thank you for your kindness :)
yes I found this from hotukdeals too :D

In the future, you could transfer the electric parts from this bike to brompton. It is totally possible with a bit of DIY. So your purchase is not wasted :)

Pat

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Good luck with your treatment, I know from my friends what anorexia means! Exercising is always a good idea, from any point of view. You will become more attractive ;)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
yes I found this from hotukdeals too :D

In the future, you could transfer the electric parts from this bike to brompton. It is totally possible with a bit of DIY. So your purchase is not wasted :)

Pat
Thanks. To be honest, I feel that I got the bike at such a bargain price, I'll be pleased even if I get six months out of it :) Hopefully by then I'll have the leg strength to ride my brompton <3

Reactions: superDove

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Good luck with your treatment, I know from my friends what anorexia means! Exercising is always a good idea, from any point of view. You will become more attractive ;)
Awww thank you :) I'm looking forward to becoming more attractive haha

Reactions: patpatbut

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013
Hi CL.
The bike you have bought is great value same bike Tesco sell for £440 and others £600+.
Have purchased two for me and the good lady to keep over in Spain. The battery retails at that price.
Even in mode1 it takes very little effort and it has the low step through to get off easily.
Good Luck from a fellow Manc

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Hi CL.
The bike you have bought is great value same bike Tesco sell for £440 and others £600+.
Have purchased two for me and the good lady to keep over in Spain. The battery retails at that price.
Even in mode1 it takes very little effort and it has the low step through to get off easily.
Good Luck from a fellow Manc
Thank you :) I have wanted an electric bike for quite sometime now and I just couldn't resist at that price. Good luck to you and your lady too :)

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
You might find this map helpful, some are traffic free but most will be roadside routes. Once you get the cycling itch you will be racking up 20+ mile rides I'm sure.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

These might also come in handy, much like plasters but you use them on the innertubes when you eventually get a flat. Saves all the faffing about with a little tube of glue that the normal patch kits need.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-super-patch-kit-gp-2/rp-prod7206
or
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-smart-patch-kit/rp-prod24778
or
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/weldtite-red-devils-patch-repair-kit/rp-prod32384