Another Cycle Rage Incident..........but with a twist

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I agree the cyclist could easily have touched the car, but I can't see anything wrong with that distance. As a London cyclist I bet you could touch many of the cars passing you or that you pass, I know I can. Since the driver didn't react by shouting or blasting his horn at the time of the pass, I don't see how it can be said that he deliberately passed in a threatening way. His reaction that you quote was provoked by that arrogant cyclist and was merely in his own defence.

Indeed they do, and it's your polite word that makes all the difference. It's the shouting and often aggressively bossiness of cyclists like that one in this video that I object to, since it provokes driver ill feeling towards all cyclists.

But overall I don't think cyclists in general should be or need to be verbally correcting drivers, since so many cyclists fall so far short of best behaviour on the roads. As the old saying goes, "Those who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones".
It's quite unusual for cars to pass me at touching distance, unless it's slow moving traffic. I would consider that to be too close at free traffic speeds.

It seemed to me, from his reaction, that the driver had decided to pass too close since he thought that the cyclist was deliberately taking up too much space.

I agree though, that following and chasing down a car just to give them a piece of your mind, is not going to be constructive.

I think it's a good idea to engage with people, without lecturing, even those who seem aggressive at first, since their frustration is often caused by a feeling that they have been slighted in some way by a perceived lack of consideration; explaining why this is not the case means that next time they can wait patiently behind the cyclist for a couple of minutes without feeling affronted.

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Its amazing to me how peoples behavior can change when on the road. Sort of dual personality with the worst coming out.
Walt Disney had a cartoon of Goofy made sometime in the 1940's (I'm sure Mr Flecc could correct me on this) where a mild gentle character becomes a raging maniac on entering his car, so road rage is not a new phenomenon.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Walt Disney had a cartoon of Goofy made sometime in the 1940's (I'm sure Mr Flecc could correct me on this) where a mild gentle character becomes a raging maniac on entering his car, so road rage is not a new phenomenon.
I don't want to pre-empt flecc, but that might have been Mr Magoo!

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Same vintage but not the one I meant. If you google "Mr Magoo driving" you'll come up with the character - sorry but I haven't as yet mastered the art of inserting a clip in my post as you did.

Jim

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Same vintage but not the one I meant. If you google "Mr Magoo driving" you'll come up with the character - sorry but I haven't as yet mastered the art of inserting a clip in my post as you did.

Jim
All I did was copy the "http:/ address text" from the you tube clip, and then posted it into the reply. The forum software did the rest to my surprise!

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
All I did was copy the "http:/ address text" from the you tube clip, and then posted it into the reply. The forum software did the rest to my surprise!
I tried that and it didn't work; oh well!

Jim