Another cyclist seriously injured

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
A cyclist from Cheltenham is being treated for life-threatening head injuries after a collision with a van.

Emergency services were called to New Road, Woodmancote, on Thursday evening following reports of the accident.

A Gloucestershire Constabulary spokeswoman said the man was taken to hospital in Cheltenham but later transferred to Frenchay Hospital.

The driver of the white Citroen van, a 25-year-old man from Cheltenham, was not injured in the incident.

"Anyone who saw the accident which happened just before 7pm on 30 June on New Road at the junction with Two Hedges Road is asked to contact police," she added.

The road was closed for three hours while the accident was investigated.
BBC news online today.

I wonder if both parties were travelling at an appropriate speed with due regard to the prevailing conditions.

In any event, I sincerely hope the cyclist makes a full recovery and that any witnesses to the collision make themselves known to police.

Indalo

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A cyclist was killed on the A50 near to Utixeter (fast dual carriageway) yesterday evening. An HGV was involved.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The 2010 road accident statistics are out and surprise, surprise casualties are down. Well they are down provided you are not a cyclist. They are up by 7% on 2009's figures which is not great considering there is no plan to reduce these casualties.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
The 2010 road accident statistics are out and surprise, surprise casualties are down. Well they are down provided you are not a cyclist. They are up by 7% on 2009's figures which is not great considering there is no plan to reduce these casualties.
But what's the difference in the number of people cycling since 2009? A figure of 7% is kind of meaningless without knowing otherwise as it can represent an overall increase or decrease or, in fact, no change at all.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think the figure is 111 deaths - if your wife/son/husband/daughter dies on a bicycle does it really make a difference to know that more people have started cycling? Does that make each death less important? I don't think so.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think the figure is 111 deaths - if your wife/son/husband/daughter dies on a bicycle does it really make a difference to know that more people have started cycling? Does that make each death less important? I don't think so.
You brought in the percentages, don't try and shift it to individual instances when your argument falls apart.
And it's not true that there is no plan to reduce the number of casualties, there are several plans underway near me and I suspect many more that I don't know about.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
And the point of this thread is....?

Cyclist die everyday
Drivers die everyday
Pedestrians die everyday
Dogs die everyday
And so on....

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
And the point of this thread is.....?
I not sure what the original point of the thread was, but I think some people are now trying to determine if you are more or less likely to die whilst cycling on roads today than you were two years ago.

Maybe this is of no interest to some people, but I am curious to know. Once armed with the knowledge, there is very little I can do though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get really reliable figures on all forms of road accidents. For many years now our governments choose to fog the figures with non-specifics in order to leave leeway for the inaccuracies of propaganda.

Typical of this is the way they often give a combined figure for deaths and serious injuries. Since there is no precise definition of what is a serious injury, this hides the death figure, leaving them to make it whatever they want, whenever they want.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Swansea City Centre has had a huge amount of money (Ours) spent/squandered to enable the bendy buses that the bus company bought second hand to negotiate the roads.
No cycle paths were provided. You can ride in the bus lanes if you wish. Not very nice if you are going slowly and there is a huge bendy bus breathing down your neck.
Perhaps instead of stating how many miles of cycle paths they have, Councils should be required to quote the percentage of their roads that do have cycle paths and then contrast this with the percentage of footpaths. I think that this would clarify matters startlingly.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You brought in the percentages, don't try and shift it to individual instances when your argument falls apart.
And it's not true that there is no plan to reduce the number of casualties, there are several plans underway near me and I suspect many more that I don't know about.
0.5% increase. I think your argument fails if you think it depends on usage or do you think that we would be putting up with 40,000 motorists deaths in a year (take the late 1960's death rate and multiply it up by increase in car use). Everybody thinks that there has been a massive increase in cycling throughout the uk but in most areas this is not true. Until we have some public outrage about the number of deaths there won't be a change in attitude. Personally I have seen enough of the carnage - blood on the road, a cyclist under the wheels of a lorry or cyclists being taken away in ambulances. Not to mention comforting a rather traumatised guest at a party who witnessed the death of a cyclist on blackfriers bridge. Not to worry though as in mussels' area they are improving the roads, so everything is ok!

I think it has less to do with road engineering now as we will all have to accept there will be less money in the future. If you read the comments section at the end of an article on cycling in say the telegraph you can see there is room for improvement in driver attitude. There are a large number of drivers who think that cyclists are pedestrians on the road and have no right to be there (pay no road tax - we have all heard the argument). I am not discounting poor riding as a reason for some of the increase but it is difficult to see how that could be improved without going down the licencing route. Other European countries seem to manage better.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Typical of this is the way they often give a combined figure for deaths and serious injuries. Since there is no precise definition of what is a serious injury, this hides the death figure, leaving them to make it whatever they want, whenever they want.
The relationship between number deaths and serious injuries was much the same until the late 1990s and then they started to change - there were more serious injuries in relation to deaths from that time on and there didn't appear to be a reason for this. However when they analysed the hospital data it seemed that they hadn't changed at all, it was all in the way the Police had reported them. It does lead us to the suspicion that they were manipulated so the figures looked better. So as it is not possible to fiddle whether a person is dead or not it is better to compare the number of people killed on our roads year on year (sad as that is).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It does lead us to the suspicion that they were manipulated
Of course the reason for them trying to fluff the figures is the number of pests like me who watch them all the time for any fiddling! I've picked them up on many examples over the years, but the worst example of false figures came from the Home Office. Several times they'd released a consistent figure for the number of known paedophiles nationally, but on one occasion made the mistake of releasing a figure for England and Wales.

Accepting this is a primarily male phenomena, a quick rough calculation revealed that just over 1 in 300 males in England and Wales were involved. Unfortunately for the Home Office, deducting the England and Wales figure from the national total they'd previously released meant that in Scotland and Northern Ireland, every fourth male was a paedophile! Mistakes don't come much bigger than that, so I can understand their reluctance to be specific.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
If you read the comments section at the end of an article on cycling in say the telegraph you can see there is room for improvement in driver attitude. There are a large number of drivers who think that cyclists are pedestrians on the road and have no right to be there (pay no road tax - we have all heard the argument). I am not discounting poor riding as a reason for some of the increase but it is difficult to see how that could be improved without going down the licencing route. Other European countries seem to manage better.
This is true, the Dutch for instance spend a lot on social engineering to encourage the young to keep cycling - its a fallacy every Dutch youth enjoys cycling, they like cars just as much as anyone else, but Euros are spent to encourage them to stay on two wheels (and it pays off in less collisions and better health).

On another note, as recently as the 1970s/80s or even the early 1990s a lot of young men felt that their counterparts of other skin colours had "no right to be there", and very often took matters into their own hands to enforce this, with people being hurt or even killed.

I am not white myself, and have noticed how things have improved greatly in just the nearly 4 decades I have been in this country. Whilst racist attitudes still persist, society strongly discourages them and those who commit crimes against people out of prejudice are increasingly turned in to the authorities, and brought to judgement and justice, which deters others at least from overt racism.

So I don't think its a pipedream to expect a society which discourages prejudice and intimidation against people for what manner of transport they choose to use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am not white myself, and have noticed how things have improved greatly in just the nearly 4 decades I have been in this country. Whilst racist attitudes still persist, society strongly discourages them and those who commit crimes against people out of prejudice are increasingly turned in to the authorities, and brought to judgement and justice, which deters others at least from overt racism.

So I don't think its a pipedream to expect a society which discourages prejudice and intimidation against people for what manner of transport they choose to use.
But the effort to bring about change needs to be as great. Huge efforts were rightly made to change those earlier racist attitudes, but with the exception of a large scale poster and newspaper campaign on behalf of cyclists by the previous Mayor of London, cycling has had nothing like that. Since the present government to save money have just closed the COI which produced their propaganda material, the outlook is not good.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
When someone knows personally someone who was killed or passes an accident, it makes people,naturally, emotional. I don't recall any anguished posts here when Konstantinos Tourlas was killed in West Lothian in September last year. Why? Because no-one cares? Or because no-one here knew him? Somewhere around 3,000 people were killed in cars last year, are they not worthy of anguished forum posts?

What is astonishing is not that so many people are killed and injured on our roads but that so few are. Day by day road users show forbearance with one another in their millions. No one notices or cares about that. We just wait until something nasty happens and comment on that in emotional terms. That is the self-indulgent side of human nature.

Trying to use statistics to bolster or destroy emotional points of view just doesn't work. Mathematics are by humans too and just as malleable as emotions. When I see these argumenst it reminds me of Steve Jones's little parable.

If I put a spider on a table at shout loudly at it, it runs away. If I cut off its legs and shout loudly at it, it does not run away. This proves that its ears are in its legs.

I am not pointing the finger here, I am just as susceptible as anyone else, I just think its important to recognise these things.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Somewhere around 3,000 people were killed in cars last year, are they not worthy of anguished forum posts?
It's way below that, indeed the grand total of all UK deaths on the roads is less than that. As usual and as I complained above, the government deliberately seeks to hide the truth by combining deaths and serious injuries as soon as one tries to get into specifics. However, since it appears the ratio of serious injuries to deaths appears to be about 10 to 1, it's possible to extrapolate that about 1200 car occupants are killed per year. You can check those figures on this site.

I do agree with your general point though.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
With those figures, Flecc, motoring, cycling and for that matter walking start to look like very safe activities indeed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Lemmy, I've often remarked on how extraordinarily low our road accident figures are, I'm sure the lowest in the world. The USA's road deaths are a pro-rata multiple of ours and many European countres are very high. Although much improved now, at one time Portugal had three times our road deaths with about one fifth the population, a horrific figure.

mishabgt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2011
Ok, so here's some statistics for you:

If you ride a bike you have a higher risk of being involved in an injury when you're out on your bike compared to the chances of someone who never rides a bike having the same accident.

You have a 1 in 10 chance of being involved in a cycling accident if you are out cycling with 9 friends, compared to your friends who have a 50% chance of having an accident with you if in the same group.

In 2009 14 people were injured as a result of using a bicycle pump for purposes for which it was not designed.