Another noob wanting help!!

sdf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2020
Hi
I've got a budget of around £1600 for a bike which will be used solely on roads for shops etc. I've got my eye on the following: Raleigh Mobus Lowstep 2020, a Whisper 705, Pendleton Somerby, Cube Town Hybrid One 400 or an Elops 940. I'm after a classic looking bike vs a road/mountain bike. It seems that options are running out as stocks are becoming fairly low.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
S

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi
I've got a budget of around £1600 for a bike which will be used solely on roads for shops etc. I've got my eye on the following: Raleigh Mobus Lowstep 2020, a Whisper 705, Pendleton Somerby, Cube Town Hybrid One 400 or an Elops 940. I'm after a classic looking bike vs a road/mountain bike. It seems that options are running out as stocks are becoming fairly low.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
S
Hi Sdf
I've ridden the Raleigh Motus, the Cube Town hybrid and a Wisper 905 when choosing which to buy, all three were excellent bikes. There is a different feel to the hub drive compared to the mid but you really need to test them to appreciate it. If I hadn't decided to have hub gears I'd probably have got the Wisper. Test rides are the best way to find what suits you best and having local bike shop support counts for a lot.
Good luck choosing. :)

sdf

Jun 25, 2020
Hi, thanks for your help. The only ebike i've tested was a Woosh one a couple of years ago and then i put it on hold. Presently, covid hasn't helped testing wise. I suppose my only other question is wheel size. I'm 5' 8" so does a 26" vs a 700 cc wheel matter. My nearest bike shop, Evans does have a 46cm (700cc) wheel in stock, otherwise it's a long wait.

cheers
S

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi, thanks for your help. The only ebike i've tested was a Woosh one a couple of years ago and then i put it on hold. Presently, covid hasn't helped testing wise. I suppose my only other question is wheel size. I'm 5' 8" so does a 26" vs a 700 cc wheel matter. My nearest bike shop, Evans does have a 46cm (700cc) wheel in stock, otherwise it's a long wait.

cheers
S
Personally I don't find those wheel sizes make much difference but frame size is what's important. I'm 5'9" and my Cube is a 50cm frame. You want to be able to put the ball of your foot down when you stop but not put your whole foot flat on the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

sdf

Jun 25, 2020
OK, thanks for that. need to find out if my local shop is open to go and test.
Cheers
s

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
having local bike shop support counts for a lot.
I agree with the'good luck choosing'. We are very happy with our 4 year old Motus low step. Good local bike shop support is really helpful but sadly becoming rare. You may well get better support from Woosh or Whisper than from many LBSs.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour and my wife has the Cube Elly Ride. You won't go wrong with either the Cube or the Raleigh. Just compare spec for the price. My wife adores her Cube (I bought it as a surprise for her in April). She is currently out to the shops with it as I speak. Panniers and a basket mean that you can carry a lot of stuff. Very pleased to report that she has now covered 500 very happy miles, which means the car is pretty well lying fallow.