Anti rust chain - why?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
An anti rust chain is twice the price of a normal chain and I'm wondering if there is any point in spending extra. To me it's just cosmetic and a waste of money when the chain is well used and maintained, is there a more practical difference I haven't seen?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've only ever seen the point for someone who never oils their chain, and for them it's useful. Not for the rest of us though.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Snake Oil

Hi Mussels

There is already one on the Wisper Bikes, we put them on just in case people are not as diligent as both you and Flecc. Yes they are double the price of a normal chain, but we thought it was worth it.

Best regards David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Mussels

There is already one on the Wisper Bikes, we put them on just in case people are not as diligent as both you and Flecc. Yes they are double the price of a normal chain, but we thought it was worth it.

Best regards David
I doubt you would have fitted it for no reason, my snake oil reference was no to you but to the aftermarket industry that likes to sell premium items with little added value. From what I see cycle chains are very much subject to this problem with the main difference on a premium chain being the colour.
A good example is the Sigma chain connector I bought from Halfords, fitted 2 days ago and broke on the way home last night. The link was still there and my pedal power had managed to snap the metal link in the middle. Quality stuff. :rolleyes: Fortunately I managed the next few miles on motor only until I got to a bike shop, it's nice to have backup propulsion. :)

Last edited:

WaiWonChing

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2007
Chief eZee Operator

There are of course many people who don't bother to even to clean their bike much less oil them. eZee has been using KMD 'RB' rust-buster chains on our Sprints models for the past 7 years. There are very significantly rust resistant than no treated likewise chains.

W W Ching

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Anti-rust chains are for people like me :D

Did not use my Dawes Horizon for about 14 years. Dug it out a couple of months ago and the chain is still in good condition. In fact the whole bike is and thats after it being dumped in a damp garage.

Tyres were perished.... must change those as a matter of urgency :eek:

Done about 400 miles on it since I dug it out. All is well except work blocks and what I think is a slightly bent rear wheel axle. Cassette does not run concentically although wheel does not appear buckled :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think I would pay the extra. Th bike is now about 18 years old (no it does not have a massive wheel at the front and a tiny one at the back) and it is still going wheel. I used it a lot in its first 5 years of life but then got a car, got a family, got lazy.

Now if only I could get a Tongxin motor this would be my project bike...

BM.