Any ideas for filling space between BBSHD axle and bottom bracket?

Javiatrix

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2020
Hey!

Bit of a weird one - I have the fairly typical symptom of creaking coming from my 3 week old BBSHD, but not through the usual reasons of loose cranks/motor rubbing on downtube/lateral play - checked everything, tightened the steel locking nut until the tool bent (it is now permanently attached to the locking ring and braced against one of the bracket nuts so it's impossible for it to unscrew itself). There is NOTHING that isn't flush, except... When I was tightening everything, I noticed that the BBSHD axle doesn't perfectly fill the BB space. It's as if the bottom bracket diameter is 35 mm, for instance, and the BBSHD axle diameter is, say, 34.8 or 34.9 mm. This would explain why the creaking appears after a few miles of trouble free riding - each retightening aligns it fairly central, but after a few hundred/thousand power strokes of the cranks, it is driving it directly (vertically) downwards by half a mill or so, after which point each pedal stroke torques it up/down/left/right, leading to the creaking noise.
Anyone have any ideas on how to 'fill the space', so to speak? In an ideal world, it would be a plain socket with the thinnest wall thickness ever (paper thin) that I could push into the bottom bracket, followed by the BBSHD axle. Most other choices, rubber etc, would simply be pushed aside. I could try injecting epoxy resin in there somehow which would leave the BBSHD permanently entombed in the bottom bracket, but it's obviously not ideal!
Any help would be appreciated, as I'm all out!

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, 3d printed sleeve / tube, I don't have a 3d printer but have a CAD program. If you give me the dimensions I can draw you the sleeve / tube. Maybe somebody on here has a 3d printer and will print you the required part.

Javiatrix

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2020
Thanks guys :)

Hi Raboa - thanks for the suggestion and offer - I'm just running through spec sheets and the BBSHD diagrams to obtain precise dimensions!

Peter, thanks for the idea - I actually have some cut up inner tube protecting the downtube and have created my own brace using the actual Luna tool itself, so rotational movement isn't the problem. It's translative movement up/down and fore/aft causing the creaking due to the BBSHD spindle having a smaller diameter than the BB shell!