Anyone got a whoosh rambletta without suspension?

squiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2023
In my mind, front suspension is quite important, but does anyone have the Rambletta without the front suspension? They all have the seat suspension, I believe.

Would love someone's opinion on how comfortable it is to ride on canal towpaths and anything that's not glassy smooth. A simple test run probably won't give me too much of an idea (not that i can get there to test run it anyway).

They don't have any with suspension in stock, which suggests either (1) they are so popular they sold out, or (2) they are not really in demand and the fixed forks are fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need cheap pogo stick front suspension , one could at a price though use a stem dampner which has 20mm up/down play which will take care of 70% of the jarring.
I have one on my ute with 650b 54mm tyres , I ride with about 35psi and use the Redshift stem dampner. The effect is pretty good and I can see the damping affect working as I ride on a trail.

Redshifts though aren't cheap but they are pretty effective imho.

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
That's very interesting! Gonna have to ask ChatGPT to translate their website into "Luddite" so I can understand it, but I get the principle. Thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They don't have any with suspension in stock, which suggests either (1) they are so popular they sold out, or (2) they are not really in demand and the fixed forks are fine.
In fact there is also (3): The fixed fork model suits any size of rider.

The suspension fork model means shorter riders can find the handlebars too high.

Personally I've never felt the need for front suspension on a folder, just adds weight and does very little useful.

Last edited:

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
In fact there is also (3): The fixed fork model suits any size of rider.
The supension fork model means shorter riders can find the handlebars too high.
Rider size is not the issue, I'm after the most pleasant ride I can get from an ebike I can afford.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I have a Rambletta without front suspension and I am very happy with the ride, in fact I find the ride surprisingly comfortable. Bear in mind that folders such as these are not designed for very rough trails with or without front suspension.
Based on personal experience I am in agreement with Nealh. I have a bike with the Suntour CM front forks and I reckon all they do is add weight but not comfort. This is most noticeable when I ride my old manual bike with a reasonable Rockshox fork - that feels noticeably plush when riding compared to the cheap front suspension forks. The cheap Suntours don't really feel much different to my Rambletta without suspension forks although the overall ride is better because the wheels are 29" rather than 20". The suspension seat post on the Rambletta is nice though.

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
I have a Rambletta without front suspension and I am very happy with the ride, in fact I find the ride surprisingly comfortable. Bear in mind that folders such as these are not designed for very rough trails with or without front suspension........
I bought two fixed forks anyway, and so far I'm loving them! Not been on anything other than road and pretty smooth cycle lanes so far. Time will tell, but they seem great so far.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I bought two fixed forks anyway, and so far I'm loving them! Not been on anything other than road and pretty smooth cycle lanes so far. Time will tell, but they seem great so far.
I think you did the right thing. My own 20" folder has no suspension, and it rides fine over a wide range of surfaces, just not well over the very rough stuff.

One of my other e-bikes (larger 700c wheel) has mono-shock suspension similar to the Rambletta option. Whereas regular low-cost two-stanchion suspension often behaves like an undamped spring loaded pogo-stick, it at least affords some measure of bump suppression and some degree of control: Pre-loading to offset rider weight, lock-out to reduce unnecessary bobbing and save rider effort on smooth surfaces, and usually a couple/few inches of travel to accommodate rough surfaces.

The problem with mono-shock is that it has none of that... no pre-load, no lock-out, and no more than about an inch of travel... although the simplicity of it means it weighs less than a "normal" cheap suspension fork (while still more than a fork without any suspension). Light riders get no benefit, and heavy riders simply compress it to the max all the time getting no benefit either. With an optimal weight rider, you only get an inch anyway before it bottoms out accompanied by uncomfortable jarring. I'd think cheap suspension systems are only offered because prospective buyers think front suspension is a "must-have" feature. IMHO cheap suspension is much more of a liability than an asset.

Enjoy your new ride(s)!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Big , bulky and fugly to have sat on your bike, the redshift simply looks like a std headset.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Big , bulky and fugly to have sat on your bike, the redshift simply looks like a std headset.
Also sounds thunky. Charming noise. That washer he's using to increase travel will wear away, and will erode the underlying metal... a washer cut from a thin cheap plastic chopping board would have been a better solution.