Anyone had an interesting ride recently ?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi Jonah - Did you get up that hill? I've tried it a couple of times on my Kraken/8fun bike, but not made it up yet: The "milk float" noise of the stalling motor has frightened me off both times! That's a great area for rides - My favourite takes in Rosenannon, Ruthern Bridge & the Trail. There's now a mtb downhill track in Hustyn Wood, just nearby: I need to find a riding partner before I try that. though - One disadvantage of always riding alone.

Nice picture, but not a beach, as I'm sure you know, but the flats in the Camel estuary.
Truth be told Peter I was on my Brompton so I didn't even try! Now I know exactly were it is I will go back and give it a go on my Kalkhoff. I had been searching maps to try and find it but to no avail.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Down through Burlawn from St. Breock downs - Don't touch the brakes, hurtle past Hustyn Mill & youshould be at least halfway up in a trice: Alternatively, you'll more likely be in hamb'lance in a trice :pi

Seriously tho' - Let me know when you're going to give it a go & I'll meet you there..... Camera to hand.

Last edited:

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Last week I had a trip out to Wakefield, Pugneys Country Park, Sunday the 7th July to see my neighbour taking part in an Olympic level Triathlon; 1500m open water swim, 40km bike ride and 10km run.

I took my bike to ride out to an elevated part of the 40k bike route and take some video of the competitors as they sped past.

But now I am missing out on all the fun in this great weather, as this was the last ride for a while after a freak fall! I had the surgery last Wednesday; now I have a heavy HOT cast from armpit to my wrist.

A part from a graze on my knee there was no external sign of damage, until the elbow swelled and turned black/purple.

Stay safe out there.

[video=youtube_share;F_XfUt1dmn8]http://youtu.be/F_XfUt1dmn8[/video]

By the way, he did rather well and finished in 5th place overall and was 2nd place on the 40k bike ride section!

Chris

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ Perfect conditions for the swim !

But now I am missing out on all the fun in this great weather, as this was the last ride for a while after a freak fall! I had the surgery last Wednesday; now I have a heavy HOT cast from armpit to my wrist.

A part from a graze on my knee there was no external sign of damage, until the elbow swelled and turned black/purple.
Did you come off your bike or an unrealted fall ? Either way really sorry to hear that - very frustrating !!!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Did 33 miles on Saturday and 25 miles on Sunday - spurred on by the desire to get to some quieter beaches than I usually go to ! Took in some very fun downhill runs and cracked a gravity-assisted knobbly-tyred 41mph (the Trek's fastest yet) on main road. Only held back from going for the big 50 by the usual 4X4 which overtook me across a solid white line and then slammed on brakes after cutting back in front of me. Unbelievably stupid driving. But hey ho - maybe get a chance to let rip a bit next time if I get a chance when the roads are clear.

Mid-afternoon on a sunny Summer weekend at Yarmouth Sands ... can't really complain about this :

Timed my route home via the short cut on Saturday ...

Never a dull moment even after the crowds had gone in the evening on Sunday @ Bigbury ...

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that there's a Jonah haunting me at the moment.:
Crashed my bike at Bristol
Went out in my boat and dropped a valve.
Helped my friend deliver his new boat from Pwllheli to Caernarfon and his motor seized half way, just when the wind dropped to zero.
On Sunday I went out for a ride with Saneagle. We were trying to do the Cycle Route 45 from Telford to Bewdly - about 70 miles I think. After about 24 miles his front wheel bearing broke up leaving us stranded in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, only about three of the balls fell out, so I dismantled the axle and borrowed a ball from the other side, so that it was missing one of the nine from one side and two from the other, and I managed to straighten the buckled cover plate with some pliers. I didn't hold out much hope, but the repair lasted 'til we got home. Apart from the stress, we had a nice ride of about 48 miles. The bit from Bridgenorth to Bewdley (of which we only did 10 miles) is very challenging. It's continuously up and down, sometimes very steep, and most of it is on very windy, very narrow gravel tracks, so it was a lot of fun. I think the constant bumping must have worn us down a bit because we were both pretty tired when we got home. Maybe it was the heat, because I don't remember being so tired when we completed the whole 70 miles a couple of years ago.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ Bad luck's only meant to come in 3's :eek: !! The heat does make the going tougher .. but it helps if you stay over 18-20mph as the wind cools you down so much :cool:.

What happened at Bristol ? Were you doing the race ?

D

Deleted member 4366

What happened at Bristol ? Were you doing the race ?
Ilost traction and high-sided shortly after take-off. I'll be using Hookworms next year. It wasa shame because my bike was about twice as quick as anything else there. Imagine five times the power of yours.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Ilost traction and high-sided shortly after take-off. I'll be using Hookworms next year. It wasa shame because my bike was about twice as quick as anything else there. Imagine five times the power of yours.
^^ that's a shame. Too much power ? Hope you didn't hurt yourself .

What are Hookworms (in the context of a bike !) ?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Ventured a little off the beaten track today .. 11 miles to a well-known beach and then hit the coastal path. It was definitely mountain bike only territory and easy on the throttle as it passes right along the top of the cliff in places.

Water's crystal clear right now. Only one thing to do in 25 degrees ! Chained the bike up to a bench after spying the perfect spot to spend an afternoon (more as a token gesture than anything else !) and saving myself the 45 minute walk from the nearest access road ....

Path down to the beach is definitely not for bikes (!)

.. but you can't really complain about this - felt like Spain in June (except for the lack of loads of people !) - was certainly as ..er.. "relaxed" (!) .. and water's really warm.

So 'fraid the cycling had to take a back seat for a couple of hours .. again. Most people who turned up came by boat or kayak, but I did a guy on a mountain bike heading along the path and a folder stood up against a bench a little way along. The ride back home by the time I hit the road again was mostly uphill so very glad of the throttle. All in all another great afternoon.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I was wishing that I were there, but now I'm not!
LOL. I appear to have missed out the word "spot" with rather unintended results . Sometimes the mind works faster than the fingers can type :eek: !

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Had a meeting in Launceston yesterday so thought I'd take the bike to enjoy the journey. 52 mile round trip and a beautiful ride. Unfortunately the camera battery ran out after a couple of photos so I missed loads of glorious photo opportunities.

2012-11-21 16.36.51.jpg2012-11-21 16.37.20.jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I did the 28-mile circuit of Kielder Water at the weekend.

Cracking ride, lots to look at and a well-maintained path.

Best of all there's only three gates which means mile after mile of uninterrupted riding.

More and steeper climbs than I was expecting - I was down to two bars on the Rose/Bosch battery at the end.

No pics I'm afraid, partly because I was in a mood to get on with it, but mostly because I forgot the camera.

Shame Kielder is miles from anywhere, although that means it's rarely busy.

Saw about a dozen other cyclists, including two ebikes - a Kalkhoff which was a few years old and a white Chinese hub drive which looked new, might have been a Kudos or Woosh.

Kielder Water and Forest Park - The official visitor website | Kielder Water and Forest Park

Twistedgecko

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Not quite the scenic tours your all having, but had a few kms with the young fella today. Not sure if dodging kangaroos is interesting enough to mention :) There's an entire mob on the hill, kinda hard to see.IMG_4270.jpgIMG_4271.jpgIMG_4272.jpgIMG_4274.jpgIMG_4276.jpg

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Not too many kangaroos around my way but the North Devon Coast looking stunning yesterday.

North Devon Coast.jpgLundy.jpg

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear

Twistedgecko

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Thats pretty blooming impressive, kangaroos make a change from dodging mad dogs and englishmen lol

Lynda :)
Dogs don't frequent the cycle paths on the way to work. A pretty view a long the river, but have to dodge scrub turkeys, possums at night, kangaroos on the way to the pub. Even had a bearded dragon (in winter) sunning itself one morning! As for englishmen... plenty of those... most MAMILS on a morning commute