Anyone know if 10g spokes will fit BMSBattery's 48v 500w rear BPM2 motor

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I've ordered a 48v 500w rear BPM2 motor from BMSBattery. This is it: https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/351-bafang-bpm2-48v500w-rear-driving-e-bike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html

Does anyone happen to know if 10g (3.2mm) spokes will fit this motor? I want to buy some 10g spokes for it but I want to check they'll fit first. Cheers guys.
Why order without checking this with the supplier first? You can still ask him surely? Surely at a worst case scenario, you only need to possibly buy a rim. I also feel that buying the wheel complete might even be a better alternative....
I hope this helps. Regards, Andy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would use 12 gauge stainless spokes with the BPM2.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Some will say that 10g is too stiff and you're heading for breakages. 13g seems to be what's needed, more supple and able to take the strains.

whoops, crossed with Tony.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks guys.

Wouldn't 10g spokes be expected to be stronger and at less risk of braking than 12g or 13g ones?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
not really. Spokes work in extension, any single one can hold up about 200kgs so 36 of them in a circle can hold up a lot of weight. 10 gauge spokes are stronger but larger, you may not be able to thread them through the holes on the motor or your rim.

Reactions: Garabonzo

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Also they have less ability to flex, so making for a harder ride and possible breaks at the j bend.
If I may answer from a metallurgical point of view.:-
The wheel (assuming correct construction and setting up of course!) will be stiffer and stronger with 10g spokes. It will last longer and have less overall wear.
If any spoke of any gauge breaks at the "J" point, it was either made badly, installed badly or set up badly, or was damaged in some form of accident!
This should not happen often, and only after considerable hard usage and high mileage. One might even see that as "fair wear and tear". for some riders....
Anyone "needing" a "spring" function from a wheel, should have bought a bike with suspension. Though any wheel has a degree of movement in it, thinner spokes would generally increase this of course, but also increasing wear at certain highly stressed areas, on thinner metal! Especially if a lot of really rough riding is done (as some do!).
Also, remember, not having suspension will put far more stress on the wheels and frame, especially when rough riding.
E-Bikes are generally far heavier, stresses are therefore higher, also some riders could do with a weight reduction (ME!) too!
Its like needing a Land Rover and not a Ferrari for a car! Everyone knows that on a rough trail, the Land Rover is better....
One has to simply accept more wear on wheel and frame components, if suspension is not bought for the terrain ridden over, but some do not want it, their choice of course!
I personally like suspension, front and back, but I am not a "hard boiled" MTB rider!
It basically boils down to a personal choice at the end of the day....
But replacing a spoke in a wheel, is no big deal if weight features highly in a rider's brain....I have never had a spoke break in my whole life of bike riding, over 60 year ( of bike riding)!!
I hope this helps to keep things in perspective....
Regards
Andy
PS. Old UK saying "You "pays" your money and you takes your choice!" Learn to live with and accept those personal decisions....See here:-
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/you-pays-your-money-and-you-takes-your-choice-chance
Said to someone who must decide between different things and accept the results of their decision!

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
A lighter more flexible properly fitting spoke (not too long at bend) will have less movement (and fatigue) at bend. Its also important to pre stress spokes and re tighten spokes. I do this by squeezing as hard as possible opposites pairs of spokes using gloves. This loosens the wheel so you need to retighten all the spokes. Heavy spokes wont pre-stress. .Remember, a wheel turns a million times every 2000km and that's at least a million flexes of the spoke if there is movement. And everyone knows that the strongest of solid wire can be broken by repeated bending/flexing.
spoke.jpg .
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141204004634-42457765-pre-stressing-spokes-why-how

Last edited: