Anyone know what happened to username d8veh?

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Hi

I sent a yamaha battery to user name "d8veh" (a well known popular poster on this forum) as he said he would try to fix the battery for me. However, after initial correspondence. I havent heard from him in months? I now see the account user has been deleted? Is he now under a new username?
Many thanks

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Have you d8veh's email address? Unfortunately you won't be able to PM him via the forum as he ducked out a while back.

Maybe somebody is still in contact with him and can relay a message with your details to get in contact.

Reactions: Marc Draco

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Have you d8veh's email address? Unfortunately you won't be able to PM him via the forum as he ducked out a while back.

Maybe somebody is still in contact with him and can relay a message with your details to get in contact.
I think I still have an email somewhere. I will try that. Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
d8veh has resurfaced but on Cycling uk forum this week.
Unbelievably after poo - pooing hub drives on here in favour of derailleurs he has started off with an Alfine 8 issue he is having following a strip down and re grease.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
d8veh has resurfaced but on Cycling uk forum this week.
Unbelievably after poo - pooing hub drives on here in favour of derailleurs he has started off with an Alfine 8 issue he is having following a strip down and re grease.
Perhaps he's fixing it for someone else? I wondered where he was.

I love my crank-drive Nexus 8 bike, although I need to work out why the grease I put into an Alfine stayed there and why it all got spat out on my Nexus.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

I love my crank-drive Nexus 8 bike, although I need to work out why the grease I put into an Alfine stayed there and why it all got spat out on my Nexus.
If it`s an Alfine 8 IGH you`re referring to, it has to be dipped in Shimanos special fluid or ATF oil.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
That's a myth, those are designed for grease not oil, so glad I didn't dip my gears, self leveling grease is the way to go.
you mean better than Shimanos recommended service oil (part SG-S700),
why don`t shimano then recommend grease?

what about the added resistance of grease compared to fluid?

and how is gear shifting now with the greased cogs?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
you mean better than Shimanos recommended service oil (part SG-S700),
why don`t shimano then recommend grease?

what about the added resistance of grease compared to fluid?

and how is gear shifting now with the greased cogs?
I think the question you should be asking is why they use grease (in a far too sparse amount) when building them and then oil to service them. Certainly the Nexus seals are not upto containing oil, and I doubt Alfine 8 ones are either.

ETA, the Alfine retains this grease, the Nexus doesn't https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CASTROL-SPHEEROL-EPL0-L-EP0-Semi-Fluid-Grease-500g-TUB-/391810653889?hash=item5b39bc1ec1

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I think the question you should be asking is why they use grease (in a far too sparse amount) when building them and then oil to service them. Certainly the Nexus seals are not upto containing oil, and I doubt Alfine 8 ones are either.

ETA, the Alfine retains this grease, the Nexus doesn't https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CASTROL-SPHEEROL-EPL0-L-EP0-Semi-Fluid-Grease-500g-TUB-/391810653889?hash=item5b39bc1ec1
You hit the nail on the head
Seals aren’t good enough for oil
Allthou oil for gears it far superior to any grease
Would be a lot better if they built them with proper oil seals

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You hit the nail on the head
Seals aren’t good enough for oil
Allthou oil for gears it far superior to any grease
Would be a lot better if they built them with proper oil seals
The 11-speed uses oil, but I hear it isn't as reliable as the 8-speed.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Spot on Artstu, d8veh is carrying out a freebie repair for the local LBS he helps out. Looks like he's got a bit of a job on his hands to sort out.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AFAIK Nexus & Alfine 11 oil bath and Alfine 8 is grease.

The oil bath is to remove any small particulates from the moving parts, with the draining to remove excess oil. The bath also is meant to reinvigorate any grease that may have dried out a bit, some then re-apply with grease. I myself apply a small amount of liquid EP grease.

Last edited: