Anyone tried magic shine lights?

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Pretty sweet. Doing at least 3 days a week and will try to do the full five as often as possible. Bike is great with the only issue Is the chain needs oiling after a rainy ride. Hopefully hit the 1000 mile mark next week.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
When i was looking to replace my Niterider lights read a multitude of reviews and the impression i got were they were a decent product for the money. It was also accepted that the claimed output is optimistic. But to be honest even if they put out 1000 that would be good enough.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Thats what I was thinking and considering the cost of equivalent lighting they do seem like a good deal.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
My new set of niteriders can be programed on the computer from 0 lumens to 700 on both the spot and flood. After a few weeks commuting with them even just set on spot where the beam is tightly focused any more than 250 lumens and you start to get strange looks from motorists, above 500 and some flash their lights. I find 300 on flood and 400 on spot is more than enough. So i reckon anything around the 700-1000 is really the max you want to use on the road. Value for money nothing beats the magic shine lights and the power does seem about right for road use anymore and you will be cursing them.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I've been wondering if bright lights like this would help with the problem of motorists who don't dip their headlamps.

When I'm caught in a full beam I can't see anything of the road in front of me, do the lights offset this dazzle effect at all? If they stop me being periodically blinded then that alone would make them essential for my winter commute.

Does anyone find that motorists are more likely to notice you and dip their lights if you've got a bright headlight yourself?

Patrick

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
They always dip their lights when i am on the opposite side of the road. But they also expect you to reduce your brightness which is a bit of a pain but better than being blinded.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
These are the same ones available on Deal Extreme except they are more expensive. The DE ones are the same price but in dollars so about 30% cheaper. I have the 900 lumen one and its bright, very bright...thinking about getting a second now the nights are drawing in....

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
These are the same ones available on Deal Extreme except they are more expensive. The DE ones are the same price but in dollars so about 30% cheaper. I have the 900 lumen one and its bright, very bright...thinking about getting a second now the nights are drawing in....
How secure are the lights? They seem to be held on only by the rubber o-ring. I'm sure they are tight enough but it strikes me that it would be easy for someone to walk away with the light?

Apart from that they seem like the perfect light for the unlit section of my commute.

John

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Last edited:

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
For those of us who come over all shakey at the thought of paying nearly a hundred quid for a cycle lamp, have a look at these:

21 LED BICYCLE FRONT LAMP + 5 LED BIKE FLASH REAR LIGHT on eBay (end time 18-Oct-10 12:14:00 BST)

Recommended by Oldtimer of these columns, and now by me. Brilliant bit of kit, amazingly bright, and so cheap that if it breaks you just buy another one.

A
Looks excellent but isn't this more of a light for being seen with than for seeing with? As Patrick mentions I want something that is going to help on unlit roads with oncoming traffic and in fog to spot other cyclist with no lights at all. They were all out this morning.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
My new set of niteriders can be programed on the computer from 0 lumens to 700 on both the spot and flood. After a few weeks commuting with them even just set on spot where the beam is tightly focused any more than 250 lumens and you start to get strange looks from motorists, above 500 and some flash their lights. I find 300 on flood and 400 on spot is more than enough. So i reckon anything around the 700-1000 is really the max you want to use on the road. Value for money nothing beats the magic shine lights and the power does seem about right for road use anymore and you will be cursing them.
Thanks for this overlander. I'm also looking to maybe do a few night rides on the MTB I just built so this would serve a dual purpose.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The rubber O ring is secure enough for the light....as for security I never leave anything easily removed on the bike when it's unattended so this is no different....

That eBay light has nothing on the Deal Extreme ones, trust me!

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
My front and rear magicshines arrived yesterday. I ordered from geoman gear in th US. Haven't fired them up yet as I need a us adapter but they look good quality and are pleasingly small. Hopefully be able to give a ride report tomorrow.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Only had two chances to use them so far but they have been great. The rear leaves are large glow on the ground behind me and the front I have been using mostly on the lowest setting but on full it's bright enough to make me not want to use it unless there is no oncoming traffic. Fortunately having the control on the handle bars makes it easy to dip your lights quickly when needed.

projem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2010
Looks excellent but isn't this more of a light for being seen with than for seeing with? As Patrick mentions I want something that is going to help on unlit roads with oncoming traffic and in fog to spot other cyclist with no lights at all. They were all out this morning.
Sadly I have four of the 21 LED front light and all stopped working for various reasons, but all down to poor quality. Clicky switch on rear is poor, all leds badly soldered to connections etc and cant be swapped to another as spares. Unless you want a cheap light for a couple of months, who knows if they ever get wet (mine didnt). :rolleyes:

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
I have one

These light are good but I would buy from Deal Extreme as it is much cheaper. It will take a few weeks to come.

I also have 2 900 lumen ones as well and these are in a way better lights.

If you go on unlit roads you won’t regret getting one of these lights

You could buy 2 900 lumen lights for the price of this one (form DE).

These take up the same amount of "room" on the handlebars.

The battery is the same capacity and as it is more powerful it does not last very long. With 2x900 lights you get two batteries.

If you buy for DE remember to order a UK plug adaptor.