Anyone tried magic shine lights?

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I know this thread is essentially about CheKMx's searchlights, but I just popped in to say that those cheap 21 LED lights recommended by me/Old Timer etc aren't so cheap anymore. The ebay seller has more than doubled their price for some reason, so what were DIRT cheap flashers which you really could chuck away if they failed have moved up into a different league. Still dirt cheap compared with CheK's amazing lamps, but not as cheap...

Allen.

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
You can buy the 21 led front light configured as a head torch for a pound in our local pound shop. I discovered that after I had bought from ebay. I'm watching for them appear in bike light configuration for a pound. (Unfortunately my mounting bracket broke as I installed the rear light).

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Thingaby, that's useful. You CAN still buy them for about a fiver inc. p&p from
http://tinyurl.com/38a32tu
for example.

There is a semi-serious point here, too. I always find that bright flashing lights attract the attention of the more dozey drivers than a single non-flashing light, however bright. Riding in wintry London, where cyclists are fair game, two cheap lamps like these often work as well (or better) than one high-powered expensive lamp.

I KNOW CheKmx is talking about lighting up unlit roads, which is a different ball-game.

Allen.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Allen
I couldn't agree more plus I think it always good to have a backup incase one light fails. I actually ride with five lights on my bike. The front and rear the bike came with, a smart super flash and now also the front and rear magic shine. I don't have a front flashing light though. Maybe I will use the knog light I use on my brompton.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Cheap 21 LED lights

Bought two 21 LED front lights for less than £9 the pair (took three weeks to arrive from Hong Kong) and fitted them on the front yesterday.
Will advise how effective they are once they have been used in anger tonight (maybe Rosjen can spot me easier).

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks CheKmx, interesting.

I have the MJ-808 direct from DealExtreme, but the velcro sleeve doesn't look like either of the recall pictures. Mine is a simple wrap-around velcro strap on a silver battery housing - so for the time being am presuming mine is not affected by the battery problem, unless someone can advise otherwise?