Anyone willing/able to fix my e-bike ?

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
I'm at my wits end with my Kudos Typhoon, anyone willing/able and has the experience to fix my e-bike if I drop it off/pick it up (within a reasonable distance from Blackpool) ?

Bike is 14 months old & has worked great for past 12 months. Last weekend I took it for a 10 mile ride & it was fine. After charging it up the next day I was faced with an Error 30 on the King Meter (communication issue) and it hasn't worked since.

Rally Spares, who manufacture/supply Kudos bikes have supplied me with a new Kink Meter, Controller & Speed sensor at my cost to straight swap (on understanding they will refund me for bits I don't need). I've done what I can in swapping all three items but I still get the Error 30 even on the new meter.

It's got to be something else and I really just need to pay someone to sort it for me as I feel I've gone as far as I can with it.

I'm really missing the bike as I love it but at the moment it's a £1200 bike I can't use.

Can anyone help ?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Have you tried unplugging all connectors and checking for moisture, corrosion or simply a bad connection on a pin . Sometimes doing this with a small shot of wd 40 on each pin will bring things back to life. The sea air in your area can be a bit hard on electrics if it finds a way in. The parts you have should cover most things so this leaves minor snags to find. Take your time and find every connector. Look for wires rubbed through or crushed flat by being trapped . Do Kudos not have a fault finding check sheet ? It's all very well showing a fault code but usually there is further info on what to do next. Member d8veh is the man to ask for advice but he has not posted for a while. There is lots of help on here so hang on until others read your post and may be able to pinpoint the problem. Look on it as a learning opportunity rather than a PITA.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
As you have already got the controlleer and LCD, you need now to get a new waterproof trunk cable from Kudos.
When you get it, connect the battery, new controller and new LCD. The error won't be there because all the parts are new. Swap in on old component at a time.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Not sure about that one, I've already connected new controller directly to the battery & King Meter to controller etc and still get the error. I somehow think its something else eg. brake sensor ?

It's beyond me at the moment, really need someone more skilled than me to have a look at it

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I'd go with Trex on this one and swap the cable he suggests. The brake sensors are easy to check, make sure the levers are fully off, if no result just trace and unplug them . If these are faulty the bike should run with them unplugged.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the cable that connects the LCD to the controller also needs to be checked. If the Tx or Rx wire is shorted to 0V or 5V or 36V wire, you also get error 30.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Chinese call it the waterproof cable, aka E-Bus cable, aka 4-in-1 cable, they are usually made by Higu or Julet.You plug the LCD into the green socket.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Trex, this looks nothing like what is already on my bike - is it an upgrade of some sort ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
does your LCD come with a 10" cable and a round 6-pin plug or a 1.2m long cable and a 6-pin JST socket at the end? if it comes with a long cable, you have to install the new controller first then connect the new LCD.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
I'm guessing its the JST as its rectangular with circa 6 pins, plugs straight into the controller.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
did you plug the new LCD to the new controller? if error 30 shows up with this combination then you may need to contact d8veh, he is in Telford.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Yep, plugged it in and expected not to see the Error 30 but it was there. I must have a wiring/cabling issue as I've:-

- checked all connections
- swapped out LCD
- swapped out controller
- swapped out speed sensor
- disconnected brake sensor

Any thing left ?

It did happen after a battery charge after a decent ride

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you connect just the battery, new controller and new LCD (6-pin JST), leave motor, sensors out, do you still see error 30 when switching on? if you do, then there is incompatibility between the new LCD and the new controller that Kudos sent you. Kudos can sort this out for you with a matching set. They talk to one another in code.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
?? It was exactly the same type of controller and KIng Meter as was already on the bike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you connect directly your controller and LCD together without a trunk cable and both are new parts, and you still have error 30 then the LCD and the controller do not speak the same protocol. You cannot fix this yourself.
I would return the new parts and ask Kudos to kindly make sure that they are working together before sending them back to you.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Just a thought, how about checking the wire colours match on the LCD plug and the controller socket? could the rx/tx be reversed?

Fatgadget

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2011
How about finding out from the manufacturers what exactly error code 30 signifies?.Suspect it also has a test mode?Once had a really old Powerbike and it had built in diagnostics ..accessed by holding the throttle fully open while switching it on and then stepping through a menu that tested various parameters.Im sure a modern bike must have something similar.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Already found in the manual what error code 30 signifies - Communications Error - manufacturers could not offer anything more than I already knew. Doesn't havr a test mode to best of my knowledge & manual.

Still at a loss but being as swapped out controller & display, suspect this is a wiring issue