Are Rim Brakes Rubbish?

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
So to answer the OP, no they're not rubbish. Disks have become terribly fashionable in recent years, probably because they look more 'pro'.TBH from what I've read, cable operated systems pretty much only have the advantage of not suffering from wet rim syndrome.

I have hydraulic disks on my recumbent, and they're fantastic in terms of light touch braking, but given their general incompatibility with the concept of brake cut-outs, the options for electric bikes are limited (Unless Wisper start marketing their DaaCut-Out as a separate accessory).

The upshot being that personally I'm quite happy with my cable operated rim brakes, they just need some maintenance from time to time, and as a bike is a lightweight fragile beast, as opposed to the over-engineered tanks that most people drive around in, this is only to be expected.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
In my experience the only brakes that are rubbish are the roller brakes - they might last forever but they are not very progressive and won't stop you properly in an emergency. Rim brakes can be great at stopping you but have a serious disadvantage in terms of wear both in the blocks and rim. In town with stopping for traffic lights at the end of hills etc they can require weekly adjustment - blocks can last for as little as 450 miles and rims 1500 miles and for that reason the should be considered high maintenance for commuting in towns. Hydraulic disks are the best all round for very low maintenance and stopping power but the hydraulic rim (magura) can give them a run for their money - due to block thickness and composition. Cable disks rarely have the same stopping power probably because the leverage is difficult to arrange within the caliper and then of course you still have the maintenance of the cable and adjusting to do - advantage hydraulics.

MyTrek Cytronex would only work with rim brakes and I tried most makes of block and found the same amount of wear - I did find a shimano dual lever rim brake that matched the power of a hydraulic disk brake though.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Well, I've just spent another hour adjusting my Magura HS33 front brake and it is now set up how I like it. I think that I have spent 3.5 hours just setting up the front brake alone. The wear adjuster still operates unevenly due to the design flaw in the brake design, but I can live with that. Fortunately, the rear brake doesn't need any attention.

In terms of stopping power, brake pad wear and rim wear, Magura rim brakes are the best that I have experienced. The general awkwardness of setting up rim brake makes Magura the best of a bad bunch.

The next bike that I buy will have to have disk brakes. I have just fitted new brake disks and pads to my car and that job took just under two hours. By way of contrast, it has taken about 3.5 hours to set up one brake on a bicycle. This can't be right and answers my original question, are rim brakes rubbish. Although effective at stopping you, rim brakes are indeed rubbish due to their needlessly poor design.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Too sweeping a conclusion I think Tillson. Many of us don't have remotely that amount of trouble in getting a lasting balanced cable operated V brake setup, and I'd never spend more than a few minutes on one.

And disc brakes are far from the holy grail of bicycle braking as many members have noted. One side rubbing and squeaking is extremely common on many designs, often almost impossible to eradicate.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Surely a rim brake is just one giant disc brake?
Except it does not need bleeding or topping up, it does not get too hot too touch (unless a tour rider coming down the alps) its not twisting the forks by braking on one side, its not braking through the spokes and spares don't cost a fortune.
If you can do a stoppy with a front V brake or lock the back wheel with a couple of fingers how can disc brakes exceed this?
Disc brakes certainly have there place and that's off road or through water.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think some rim brakes are rubbish. When Steve let me have a go on his bike, he forgot to tell me that his brakes were the wrong way round left to right, so when I went to pull up, I pulled on what I thought was the front brake gently and the back brake moderately, and I went straight over the handlebars. Wouldn't have happened with my disk brakes!

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I think some rim brakes are rubbish. When Steve let me have a go on his bike, he forgot to tell me that his brakes were the wrong way round left to right, so when I went to pull up, I pulled on what I thought was the front brake gently and the back brake moderately, and I went straight over the handlebars. Wouldn't have happened with my disk brakes!
I don't think that makes rim brakes rubbish?
Now Steve and how he has his bike set up is another matter :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wouldn't have happened to me because my breaking emphasis is on the front brake always on all two wheelers. I'd just have had a momentary lock of the back wheel with swapped levers.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Too sweeping a conclusion I think Tillson. Many of us don't have remotely that amount of trouble in getting a lasting balanced cable operated V brake setup, and I'd never spend more than a few minutes on one.

And disc brakes are far from the holy grail of bicycle braking as many members have noted. One side rubbing and squeaking is extremely common on many designs, often almost impossible to eradicate.

I never found maguras required any more setting up than a decent set of V's. Some just require a bit of fettling to get it right - with Vs it is the tension springs that can be troublesome to stop one side rubbing. Maguras need to be aligned in every plane - can take 30 mins to get it right but then it stays the same for the life of the block.

Most decent hydraulic disks are dual piston and are really easy to adjust to avoid rubbing. I did a re-set when I gave the bike a good clean and service and my shimanos are fine - not the most expensive set up either. All depends on the mileage and use - heavy town commuting is of course very different to leisure cycling out of town (same with cars of course). So I would say the choice of rim or disk depends on usage and budget - neither are perfect of course but I wouldn't side with either.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After approx 750,000 miles on a motorbike, it's difficult to change!
Most of my two wheel mileage has also been on motorbikes over 54 years, but nearly all the braking done on the front wheel, so that's where we differ then d8veh. Not much option on my last one though, it's rear brake was rubbish!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I aways use the rear more. Yes the front is naturally alot more powerful. But even when riding motorbikes i would brake on the rear a split second before using the front. It always made the bike feel more planted and stopped any dive on the front suspension.

Having a front wheel lock up is no fun while pushing a motorbike. However its what you feel comfortable with and gives you maximum control.

Sometimes wish the v brakes where more powerful. But unless i'm constantly doing 30mph my v brakes are up to the job. As well as me being a fair weather rider. I hardly use the brakes if i can help it.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I have hydraulic disc brakes and they are the best and you can easily lock the wheels up with to much pressure :)