Are the wires swapped on some throttles?

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I bought a half-twist throttle for use with a hub motor kit that has a YCSV126-001-48T controller, but I am gradually finding that these half-twist throttle are only for use with BBSXX mid-drive kits?

Is it hit and miss whether it will work with a hub motor controller?

More likely it won't than will?

Stuff like this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/eomhh0
Stuff like this:
"half twist throttle compatible with all BBS kits and some hub motor kits"
Source: dillengerelectricbikes

Stuff like every listing on eBay saying "BBSXX" in the title for these half-twist throttles.

Let's say it doesn't work... which I am expecting - can't I just un-solder and re-solder the throttle wiring in the controller box to make it work?

I already know I can't get a PAS to fit so if this half-twist doesn't work either (on my hub motor/controller) that will mean there is no way to power the rear wheel, apart from to use the thumb throttle that comes with the kit. I already know what a pain that would be to reach to, since I am going to have a brake lever clamp (1.5cm), gear shifter clamp (1cm) and Bafang +/- buttons (1cm) all taking up space... then the throttle would go after all those things. I'd need a 10cm long thumb to press it!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bafang use Higo connectors 3 pin yellow, to confuse things Julet also make a very similar connector and yes it is yellow 3 pin.
3 pin yellow can be used for PAS, throttle or speed sensor.

The two makes Higo & Julet are compatible fitment wise BUT the wire sequence is different so you can't use a bafang/Higo throttle with a hub that uses a different controller with Julet connector. If the hub kit use a Bafang metal box controller then yes the throttle will work.

Look carefully at the Black part of the connector, the name is printed in raised embossed letters for Higo & Julet.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Bafang use Higo connectors 3 pin yellow, to confuse things Julet also make a very similar connector and yes it is yellow 3 pin.
3 pin yellow can be used for PAS, throttle or speed sensor.

The two makes Higo & Julet are compatible fitment wise BUT the wire sequence is different so you can't use a bafang/Higo throttle with a hub that uses a different controller with Julet connector. If the hub kit use a Bafang metal box controller then yes the throttle will work.

Look carefully at the Black part of the connector, the name is printed in raised embossed letters for Higo & Julet.
OK cheers. So Julet and Higo look the same (apart from the name on it), they are the same colour, they plug together - but the wiring is different so I can fry the controller if I do plug it together?

I guess I need to message the seller and ask about getting the right one, if they exist at all.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No you won't fry the controller as the 5v flow comes form the controller and not to it, all that may happen is the hall sensor in the peripheral part may be damaged.

Throttles with a Julet if that is what your controller has fitted can be got form many sellers (more so on AliExp) or other well known China sellers.
If you buy from a seller that mainly sells Bafang stuff then look else where.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
All three wire throttles work the same with the same three wires: 5v, red, ground black, and signal any colour. Rather than worry about which connectors are compatible and buy expensive throttles with the right one, cut the connectors off and join the wires (solder), which will be cheaper, quicker and more reliable. You can't damage or burn anything by connecting a three wire throttle to a three wire controller connection.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
The thing is I want a left half-twist and left ones are less common.

I've not even got the controller in my hands yet so I'm worrying without knowing lol

All three wire throttles work the same with the same three wires: 5v, red, ground black, and signal any colour. Rather than worry about which connectors are compatible and buy expensive throttles with the right one, cut the connectors off and join the wires (solder), which will be cheaper, quicker and more reliable. You can't damage or burn anything by connecting a three wire throttle to a three wire controller connection.
vfr400 this is what I started to think about doing.

If both ends have a Julet connector, is it possible the wiring can still be swapped around?

If both plugs have markings inside for what to solder where and both got soldered the right way, then it has to work, right?

Cheers folks.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I know but that makes it a faff if I want to swap to a different throttle. I might do that once I have tried out one/the other.

The half-twist arrived today. The plug has the same name on it and the same numbering in the same order as the original throttle that came with the kit. The only reason it could be incompatible now, is if they are wired differently, but that's not likely, right?

The plug on the one that came with the kit looks rough, compared to the plug on the half-twist, maybe the original (FT-21X) has a fake plug and the other one (192X) is legit? Not that I really care when it's the throttle with the nicer looking plug I intend to use :)

Both have "Lernew" plugs, presumably a knock off of Julet.

Look how rough the plastic is around the numbering on the plug on the right, hmmmmm! The left one is a lot cleaner looking.

The lettering is ever so slightly different too...

Again (in real life, not a photo) the lettering looks better quality on the one on the left.

Maybe I'm wrong and they were just manufactured years apart with the manufacturer upping their game a lot and the half-twist being cleaner looking is a result of it, but I'm more inclined to think the one on the right is some sort of copy.

The funny thing is the kit was from Greenergia, the half-twist throttle came from... yup, Greenergia too lol.