Are there any 500AH Bosch frame-mount PowerPacks available (new or good second-hand)?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had a 500AH Bosch PowerPack stolen about a year ago - the lock mechanism was vandalised, thankfully the bike only suffered cosmetic damage. The battery is the frame-mount type, not the newer PowerTube. I have made some attempts to get a replacement, but currently to no avail.

I've found a supplier in the Midlands that can get a new 400AH pack, but as of a month ago, they were sure their wholesaler could not get 500AH units. I've searched on eBay and Amazon, and I can see a couple of ropey second-hand units, and I am not sure I want to take the risk.

e-bikeshop.co.uk seem to have them in stock, but they have a rather unhelpful policy of not selling some of their spares categories to the general public.

hollandbikeshop.com (in the Netherlands) have them in, but they won't ship to the UK. Not sure if that's a Brexit impact or restrictions on shipping lithium batteries.

The sense I have speaking to various suppliers is that the difficulty in sourcing batteries is mostly down to the semi-conductor shortage caused by the pandemic. However, I worry that Bosch could be showing more commitment to old-style battery owners - we're not all on PowerTubes yet.

I may be forced to get the 400AH battery - but are there more places I can try first? Second-user isn't out of the question if the unit is physically undamaged and accompanied by a recent report of excellent battery health. Thanks all!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id get what you can asap as the new smart frame batts wont work with the non smart motors and most bike shops wont post the batts either i got a new 500w batt this year but had to find one of the last ones i could find in uk and in stock.

Reactions: halfer

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get 3rd party batts but again i tried to order one and they wont post it to the uk either.

you could try peter as he is a bosch dealer but last time i checked there was a 2 year waiting list but he had 300w ones.

these have them in stock for a price! but it does not say anything about getting it posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: halfer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
email ebike motor centere as they have a bosch account with magura and can sell you the parts that you will need to sort it if in stock.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably not relevant as the original post was over a year ago, but £570

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I just phoned Raleigh for the price of a Powerpack 500 downtube mounted one for a 2021 Raleigh Motus Grand Tour. £800 but it can only be ordered through one of their dealers. 2 in stock in the UK. Part no.027 500 7530.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they wont post it so will have to collect it from the nearest store.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That merlin cycles one is out of stock. :(
Sorry, I didn't notice that.

The rack ones (both 400 and 500) were out of stock at Merlin when I first looked. I'd signed up for a reminder email and forgotten all about it. I was on the verge of buying a couple of months later from Winstanleys. Luckily they went out of stock from there, and the next day I got a Merlin email saying in stock (for much less). I was in the luckier position that the old battery was clearly degrading but not enough I needed a replacement urgently, just wanted to get one before they became collector's pieces.

Winstanleys now have them in stock, but a lot more expensive at £560.

Good luck finding one at a reasonable price.