are there any electric bike rides or meet's before christmas?

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
hi

I have my bikes sorted out now, the way i want them. are there any electric bikes rides or events before christmas? or does any one want to go for a long distance ride somewhere?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
hi

I have my bikes sorted out now, the way i want them. are there any electric bikes rides or events before christmas? or does any one want to go for a long distance ride somewhere?
If it's reasonably close to where I live (south london), and it's not raining on the day, then I'd be up for it.

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
ok shall we say a 15 mile ride? start from a largeish train station. sounds like you know the area better than me. i'll let you can pick the route. :) i've just put sat nav on my bike so nagigation is no problem.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I also have satnav, so never get lost... I just miss turnings instead :)
What are you using? My favorite so far has been mgmaps with the opencyclemaps downloaded and stored on an SD card (because you can never get a data connection when you're lost in the middle of nowhere) - I much prefer the opencyclemap mapping to the regular ones. Even though mgmaps doesn't have route planning, I don't really miss it.

I'd like to see some new roads/trails, so would prefer it if you chose the route... or we pick a random station not too far away as the start/end point and just sketch out 15 miles on bikehike.co.uk. What sort of terrain do you like? road/cyclepath/off-road ? etc

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
yes lets do some off-road that would be awsome. i almost hope it rains, so that we get to tackle some mud! i like the random idea.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I will be based in East Sussex, 45 minutes by car to Gatwick, 1h by train to London Bridge. Proper off-road is excluded for me but I wouldn't mind some country-side trails or quiet lanes. My preference would be for a ride on the southern coast (e.g. Eastbourne, Beachy Head, Birling Gap, Cuckmere Heaven, etc.) but that's probably a bit far. :D

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
is there a website with route sugestions where people vote for their favourite cycle route?

on a different note i saw load of people riding mtb in the malven hills when i went walking there.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
How about one of the rides off the Cuckoo Trail (from Heathfield to Polegate). The council helpfully provides four rides of about the right length... and it's not too unreasonable to get to by train or car for us southerners.

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/FBA5D3C6-EEE3-42CF-8E3D-3F89959BDC8E/0/cuckoo_trail_leafletprint.pdf
Whatever the outcome of the pre-Christmas ride is, I would definitely be taking part in a Cuckoo Trail trip :)

By the way, route 21 is viewable online:

OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

Oh, and Fecn's very own report about this kind of ride:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4179-what-wonderful-day-part-2-route-21-ride-electric-eastbourne.html?highlight=rotherfield#post54025