Arrived with the lid off :(

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi Just thought i would share my pain
I was desprate to get home from work today to start building by new wisper 905 city just boought from e-bikes direct.

got home wife lets me know "yea when it came the deliver man said the lid was a bit off"

i get a prety bad feeling at this point any way i go to find the packing list.
hm no packing list or assembly instruction or screw to put the mud gards on

but on the other hand there is a fair amount of broken bit of plastic at bottom of the box this may just be packing bracing but i dont know at this point

but what is broken is the plastic wire loom on the handelbars

this is such a pest.

i feel so disapointed and i dont even know who with.

davidk

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
but what is broken is the plastic wire loom on the handelbars

this is such a pest.

i feel so disapointed and i dont even know who with.

davidk
Hi David

The delivery company E-bikes Direct uses obviously leaves something to be desired. I had a broken gear selector on mine, and the box lid was indeed damaged. I expect it was dragged around their warehouse and on to a van by the retaining straps or the lid edge. Not very good.

You obviously suffered a similar fate. However, it gets better....

I contacted E-bikes Direct by phone on the day of delivery, and a replacement gear selector was delivered by Royal Mail the following morning - so no problem with getting it sorted.

There is probably no assembly manual in the box - go to the Wisper website and download it, also the operating manual for your model. There has been an issue for some time regarding non-availability of manuals, but recently all you need has been available for download.

Make a note of any and every discrepancy in what was delivered - it's the supplier's responsibility to put it right, and that includes collecting and re-delivering it entirely at their own expense if that proves necessary. However, do let them know what has happened at the earliest opportunity - i.e. tomorrow!

Rog.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi David

The delivery company E-bikes Direct uses obviously leaves something to be desired. I had a broken gear selector on mine, and the box lid was indeed damaged. I expect it was dragged around their warehouse and on to a van by the retaining straps or the lid edge. Not very good.

You obviously suffered a similar fate. However, it gets better....

I contacted E-bikes Direct by phone on the day of delivery, and a replacement gear selector was delivered by Royal Mail the following morning - so no problem with getting it sorted.

There is probably no assembly manual in the box - go to the Wisper website and download it, also the operating manual for your model. There has been an issue for some time regarding non-availability of manuals, but recently all you need has been available for download.

Make a note of any and every discrepancy in what was delivered - it's the supplier's responsibility to put it right, and that includes collecting and re-delivering it entirely at their own expense if that proves necessary. However, do let them know what has happened at the earliest opportunity - i.e. tomorrow!

Rog.
it makes me feel a fair bit better that you have had resolution i will be caling first thing in the morning

.***** putting bike to gether *****

cool got it prety much done

foind the screws(realy bolts) for the rear rack (in the rear rack)

the box has been bumped around a fair bit and the wire holder at the front has been snaped off (there is a small clip that can be replaced there)

every thing was there apart from instrauctions and 8mil spanner
and the plastic in the bottom looks like it was prtection for the forks(i could not see that)

one thing that looks like it may be aproblem is...

when i spin the front wheel it freewheel 60% of the way round then gets cought in the brakes

there seems to be a mill or 2 diffrence when the wheel is spun

what would cause this and could it be adusted, as the brakes have a good creance at some point of the weel turn

Last edited:

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
called the kind chaps at e-bikes directe they are sending me a new clip for the wire Holder witch is very nice.
they were put me trought to the service department about the wheel
and was told there is a 4 mil tolence in the alowance for the weels and
that is should losen the brakes a bit.

ill give this a try but i think i had the brakes as loose as they would go
maybe im missing some thing ill have a look when i get home

davidk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After a couple of hundred miles the spokes can settle in David, so if the trueness of the wheel is still a nuisance, it's best to take it into a bike shop then to have the spoke tensions checked. In doing that they'll be able to true out the slight variation as they retension them.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I really am amazed that the couriers managed to damage the bike, I thought the box was one of the most impressive bits of packaging I've seen ~ better than I was expecting it to be.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I really am amazed that the couriers managed to damage the bike, I thought the box was one of the most impressive bits of packaging I've seen ~ better than I was expecting it to be.
My 905 was falling out of the box when I recieved it, but then the supplier had opened it to slip some bits inside before shipping so it may have been weakened. Fortunately everything I was expecting was still in the box.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
It makes me wonder why they would continue to use a bad carrier company- it reflects so badly on the company giving such a bad impression. And costs money. Perhaps they get such a low cost then charge a lot making a hefty profit, or there are family links. There's a bike shop up here with family links to a removal company, security firm, cleaners, and probably a lot more.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
After a couple of hundred miles the spokes can settle in David, so if the trueness of the wheel is still a nuisance, it's best to take it into a bike shop then to have the spoke tensions checked. In doing that they'll be able to true out the slight variation as they retension them.
Thanks flecc this means i can jump on the bike to night wooho !
davidk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Box problems

Hi David

Sorry to hear your Wisper experience didn't start well, but I am pleased to hear all seems to be resolved now.

I have passed on your comments to E Bikes Direct who as you know take this kind of problems very seriously and I am sure they will be on to their couriers.

If you have any further problems please do not hesitate to contact me directly on my private email, miall@aol.com

Best regards David

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Thaks David,
I got a message from e-bike direct this morning who not onlay are resending the parts damaged in transit but have said if i feel there is a problem with the wheel just take to a local bike shop and have them sort it and send e-bikes direct the bill

i can could not ask for more and am finding a woring exprence turning in to a wonderfull expernce literly over night
thank you wisper, e-bikes direct and the rest of the fourm for
turning my frown uside down :)

davidk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Pleased to be of service!

Hi David

Matt (MD) from E Bikes direct called me yesterday, he was very concerned to read about your problems, he is a good guy and will certainly look after you.

Best regards David :)

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi David

I have passed on your comments to E Bikes Direct who as you know take this kind of problems very seriously and I am sure they will be on to their couriers.
My experience of E-bikes Direct was exemplary - maybe I didn't make that clear in my first post. They answered the phone promptly (a real person), they promised a call back from their technical guy (which happened a short time later) and the problem was resolved the same day. I'd be more than happy to deal with them again.

The business I'm involved with (commercial fire alarms) uses couriers extensively, and I gather that they tend to be better outside London than they are within the M25.

I've had some less than ideal experiences with several nationally-known courier companies, and E-bikes use one of those to deliver the bikes (it would be inappropriate to name names here) so they're doing their best IMO.

Rog.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
This is a problem by no means limited to E-Bikes' couriers. I bought a mail order non-electric bike elsewhere and from the boot marks and holes in the carton it was obvious that the bike had been lying flat somewhere in transit and people had been walking over it. It boils down to the attitude of mind of some of the people who work in these places. I resolved that in future I would buy ordinary bikes only from a local bike shop and, if they had a good selection of ebikes available, the same would apply to those. Sadly that makes for a very limited choice.