Article - How ‘e-bikes’ are changing the way we commute

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No it didn't make the at all popular Dave, but in their case better advice was possible since speeds by local district are readily available. They should have said "up to whatever, but we will tell you the likely speed where you are before you sign up".

With the overwhelming influence of the customer variables on e-bike low powers, anything like that just isn't possible. Commercially it just has to be best case, and as we've seen from responses, some of us can justify the Kalkhoff claims since the rider is part of the hybrid nature of e-bikes.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I would never give the best possible case as the headline figure, but then we sell mainstream bikes to mainstream people. It is more often the case that customers are impressed by the range they get, than disappointed.

It is much more important I believe to stress the importance of matching the battery to the intended regular journey, especially with commuters, who need to avoid regular complete discharge and so shorten the expected life of their battery. Over stating or choosing the best possible headline distance simply is at odds with proper battery selection and care to protect longevity.

There is far too much small print and a good retailer should never rely on the fact that customers generally never bother to read it all!

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
This is a difficult one, since it's only natural for companies to report best results, and in 50cycles defence, these are the claims of the manufacturer Kalkhoff which they are merely reporting.

Since I could get 50 miles from the 10Ah battery by consciously riding for economy, and A to B's David Henshaw gets 46 miles riding in Eco mode, I think it quite likely either of us could get circa 80 miles from the 18 Ah battery if we tried. One rider reliably reported in here actually rode 62 miles on the 10 Ah battery and it was still not emptied, so clearly he could go to 100 miles on the 18 Ah!

What can a manufacturer report? Most seem to get around 45 to 50 miles on these 18 Ah batteries, the odd riders much more as shown, while another member only just gets to 35 miles. Whatever a manufacturer says, some will be disappointed unless he quotes the lowest possible figure and then fails to sell any bikes!

Possibly the best approach is for them to quote the best figure with the comment that as the rider input is part of the performance, the outcomes can vary widely.
For me the Eco mode is just enough power to compensate for the extra weight and drag on the drive mechanism of an e-bike, i.e. pretty much the same as riding a normal bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For me the Eco mode is just enough power to compensate for the extra weight and drag on the drive mechanism of an e-bike, i.e. pretty much the same as riding a normal bike.
I go further than agreeing, for me it's worse than a normal good bike, but some like it. I get long range by avoiding the high power mode unless essential, switching off when the going is easy and giving a bike it's head downhills to avoid losing kinetic energy through braking. Likewise ride anticipation to avoid braking.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
I have just been looking at a 24ah battery on sale eBay Germany the battery is for pansonic drive unit they say distance of 140kilometers

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, we were discussing this new battery in a recent thread Jim, quite a size for an e-bike. It seems from what 50cycles say that the 18 Ah is to be discontinued except for present owner replacements.

As for range, that 140 kilometres is only 88 miles at 7 watts per mile, well within the ability of a number of e-bikers since some ride at only 5 or 6 watts per mile. Most will probably get 50 to 70 miles at 9 to 12 watts per mile though.