Availability of electric bike parts in the UK

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Flecc - are there any other female subscribers to this wesite?
Or is is a "boys" club. If so, I will cheerfullly go elsewhere.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Apologies if I've misunderstood the tone of your post, but surely the important thing here is that we all love electric bikes. What additional commonality is important above and beyond that? I don't care who you are; male or female, old or young, black or white, rich or poor, tall or short. Everyones input will always be appreciated.

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Very true. On this forum you will find very experienced people who will be more than happy to share their expertise regardless of who you are.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, there are quite a few and always have been, but not always apparent from the forum names. The proportion has always been on the low side though, but include the odd occasionally prolific poster like Lynda. I haven't researched it for a very long time, but back in 2008 as far as I could see it was 5% of the total membership but more of the active membership. Here's the detail I posted back then on this link

Note from subsequent posts in that thread that I hadn't detected them all, there could have been many more.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Further to my above post, I can't say what ages all these female members are. Female members have been less in evidence lately for various reasons. Member Anniegirl has just returned with her post number 57 after being absent for a while due to ill health. Member funkylyn who is the Lynda I mentioned above has been occupied with her new business, but has the record for female postings with 3152 posts, so very active in various forums.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Very true. On this forum you will find very experienced people who will be more than happy to share their expertise regardless of who you are.
Wonderful and I really do mean it.My electric bicycle has given me wings I never even dreamed of. Such a positive experience, I can't recommend it whole heartedly enough. Pros and Cons, it's very helpful if you are confident enough to ride one handed and give clear (very clear) signals to other road users. It is in my (and only my) opinion, drivers think you are dodging tax and make them look unfit. A marketing spin for car sellers. Politicians or sellers, just either (in my opinion) simply want the money or Kudos of being mouth pieces, or funding their mates. I've found it's usefull to pull in if there are at most 4 cars behind you. Has anyone else found this? It seems to lessen the anger of folk in sardine tins!
Keep safe, keep strong, keep cycling Rx

Reactions: El Champiero

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Wonderful and I really do mean it.My electric bicycle has given me wings I never even dreamed of. Such a positive experience, I can't recommend it whole heartedly enough. Pros and Cons, it's very helpful if you are confident enough to ride one handed and give clear (very clear) signals to other road users. It is in my (and only my) opinion, drivers think you are dodging tax and make them look unfit. A marketing spin for car sellers. Politicians or sellers, just either (in my opinion) simply want the money or Kudos of being mouth pieces, or funding their mates. I've found it's usefull to pull in if there are at most 4 cars behind you. Has anyone else found this? It seems to lessen the anger of folk in sardine tins!
Keep safe, keep strong, keep cycling Rx
I love the technical detail that people supply - sorry, my post probably came across "anti men" didn't mean that at all. All I'm trying to say is something along the lines that electric bikes have a small-ish market (but one we hope will all grow) - and that it's a wee bit of a bind (yes, there was another word there) to find clothes to suit, phrases to say for females. Technical question...I've got another ingrowing hair in my nether regions...how in the name of goodness do you stop this?! (So uncool for a female I know...but it a) hurts, b) is something I don't want particularly to go to the doctor with if there is knowledge out there, c) only started when I tried cycling. What in the name of flip am I doing wrong?!) Daft in Glasgow!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
...I've got another ingrowing hair in my nether regions...how in the name of goodness do you stop this?! (So uncool for a female I know...but it a) hurts, b) is something I don't want particularly to go to the doctor with if there is knowledge out there, c) only started when I tried cycling. What in the name of flip am I doing wrong?!) Daft in Glasgow!
if you ride enough, friction should rub them away.

Reactions: trex

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Apologies if I've misunderstood the tone of your post, but surely the important thing here is that we all love electric bikes. What additional commonality is important above and beyond that? I don't care who you are; male or female, old or young, black or white, rich or poor, tall or short. Everyones input will always be appreciated.
Daniel you are completely right and I agree wih you. Perhaps its the case folk get a bit lost and bewildered, maybe whilst folk think they are doing the right thing, perhaps they have already made many mistakes in being inexperienced. Sorry if I've offended anyone. It's quite a learning curve but a good one.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Daniel you are completely right and I agree wih you. Perhaps its the case folk get a bit lost and bewildered, maybe whilst folk think they are doing the right thing, perhaps they have already made many mistakes in being inexperienced. Sorry if I've offended anyone. It's quite a learning curve but a good one.
Oh, don't worry about it. I just wanted to show you that the only thing between your legs that matters is the bike you ride.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Nothing that a bit of tea tree oil and easing off the shaving can't fix. And get a gel saddle might help. My wife rides electric and suffers the same and both the above helped.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Nothing that a bit of tea tree oil and easing off the shaving can't fix. And get a gel saddle might help. My wife rides electric and suffers the same and both the above helped.
Hee hee hee I agree, does that also count when you've just had an 'Off'. I've a feeling I'm now a member of the 'oh ****' club - binned it yesterday. Got it so totally wrong trying to negotiate a high kerb, and than a muddy bit, it all went a bit pear shaped and both myself and cycle ended up on the floor. I'm ok (pride dented) wee bruise, bike has a mega scrape on the luggage rack, I've apologised to it, and will sort out the paint covering. I'm a tube!!! Tea tree may be my new friend :)

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Yes, there are quite a few and always have been, but not always apparent from the forum names. The proportion has always been on the low side though, but include the odd occasionally prolific poster like Lynda. I haven't researched it for a very long time, but back in 2008 as far as I could see it was 5% of the total membership but more of the active membership. Here's the detail I posted back then on this link

Note from subsequent posts in that thread that I hadn't detected them all, there could have been many more.
Goodness flecc, you and electric bikes in the UK have come a long way. Still areas for improvement, but by goodness :) more power to sites like this one, and power to dealers elbows.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
So, were my pannier rack not be repairable, where would I go for a spare? It's a german manufactured bike, we don't easily have anyone doing spares in Scotland. Do spares suppliers even exist in England? My feeling is that we'd ALL be dealing with the German mother ship manufacturer. An unpopular but practical vote for the EU (but not Eurovision...I've got to draw the line somewhere!)

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Gel saddle was a must from the get go, what is not being highlighted is that these ingrowing hairs are happening on knicker elastic lines. Apparently you're supposed to go commando in cycling shorts. Who knew? It means the seams of the pants aren't in the ingrowing hair areas. Sorry if I've disgusted anyone but really ingrowing hairs hurt!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
So, were my pannier rack not be repairable, where would I go for a spare? It's a german manufactured bike, we don't easily have anyone doing spares in Scotland. Do spares suppliers even exist in England? My feeling is that we'd ALL be dealing with the German mother ship manufacturer. An unpopular but practical vote for the EU (but not Eurovision...I've got to draw the line somewhere!)
To be honest, I find shipping from most EU countries only takes a day or two longer than sourcing from the UK and there's nothing quite like German efficiency.

As far as the ingrowing hairs go, just get a decent pair of tweezers and be done with them. After all, you know how the saying goes: No pain, no gain :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, were my pannier rack not be repairable, where would I go for a spare? It's a german manufactured bike, we don't easily have anyone doing spares in Scotland. Do spares suppliers even exist in England?
There are some, what make and model of e-bike is it?