back brake clunking on sparta ion

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007
Hi help appreciated for this problem.
When I pull the back brake on my Sparta IOn it makes a clunking noise.
When I pull the brake whilst stationary it doesn't.

Marina

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Marina

I'm afraid I don't know the bike. What kind of brakes are on it?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since the Sparta has a rear motor, it's probably a Shimano roller brake. These often have a cooling disc with radial vanes and that can be somewhat loose and clunk at times.

I haven't come across anything else on a roller brake that can cause this problem, though if it's run dry that could make its operation noisy. If it is a roller brake it can be lubricated by a special oil that Shimano make, there's a small hole in the side plate of the brake for the oil to be squirted in.

This Shimano technical document shows a roller brake with the optional cooling disc, so you might be able to identify it from that.

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007
Since the Sparta has a rear motor, it's probably a Shimano roller brake. These often have a cooling disc with radial vanes and that can be somewhat loose and clunk at times.

I haven't come across anything else on a roller brake that can cause this problem, though if it's run dry that could make its operation noisy. If it is a roller brake it can be lubricated by a special oil that Shimano make, there's a small hole in the side plate of the brake for the oil to be squirted in.

This Shimano technical document shows a roller brake with the optional cooling disc, so you might be able to identify it from that.
Thank you both for your advice. My husband is going to have a look at it and if he can,t sort it will take it to my local repairer.

marina

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Marina

Unfortunately I've no experience of roller brakes so I can't offer any help - sorry.

John