Back on a bike!

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hi all
Tried my first e bike today which my lovely hub and son then generously bought for me. It's nothing fancy, an entry level step through bike, but I love it.

Severe Osteoarthritis in one knee has stopped me walking far and driving is painful so I thought I'd get back to cycling as soon as physically possible so shed a few stone, kept up with my knee exercises and today was the day to give it a try.

I was going to buy a normal bike but hub insisted I try an e bike in case my knee locks up. I was a bit wary, sceptical even, but oh my days, sheer joy! I don't care if this is 'cheating', it's given me back some independence for local errands and means I can enjoy our five mile each way coast ride again as a start.

Having to give up work with no transport during the day left me a bit isolated with few buses and no train in this rural area but now I can join in with more daytime activities.

I can't wait for it to be delivered but reading through the forum is keeping me busy for now.

Any recommendations for insurers would be gratefully received, there seem to be a fair few to choose from.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Adding the bike to your home insurance is often the most cost effective.

Before you do that, it's worth thinking about the likelihood of theft and how much you paid for it.

On the face of it, your bike is unlikely to be stolen because you will always be with it, even when it's not in use.

Much will depend on if you plan to leave it out of sight when you are out and about.

That's not advisable whether insured or not.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks Rob
It will rarely be out of sight and always securely locked and secured if so but as a road user I do want third party/public liability, not that I'm planning to cause an accident.
My home insurance will cover it when it is here.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Sara, congrats and welcome to the world of the insane e bike grin.:D

Third party insurance is not something I've thought about before, but on reflection I think that your houehold insurance may do it again. I think that the personal liability (or some such terminology) may be pertinant. That would be covering you rather than the bike. As a cyclist I'm not aware that you need third party cover. Perhaps others will know more.

Reactions: Sarabee

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks Ben

Yeah, legally there is no need for third party but in the hopefully unlikely event that I caused an accident, I could quite rightly be sued. I'll check with our insurance company to see if our home policy covers it.

I wish it would stop pouring down!