Bafang 750 dual chainring problem

Domino83

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2017
london

Hi guys,
I have a problem with my bafang 750.
I mounted a dualchainring with precise alps 46 and 32 teeth.
My derailleur doesn't open enough for switch on 46 teeth chainring

What I should do?
Please help me
Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Not sure what you mean chap. Is it that your front derailleur doesn't move enough, or is it that the rear arm is making the chain too tight?

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Looks to me like the jump from the two rings is far too big for the chain to derail even if you could get your front deraileur to shift out that far! Have you tried to back the adjustment screw right out?

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Which screws you mean?
There's two silver crosshead screws on the top of the derailleur, one for the inner limit, one for the outer limit...back the outer one right out (anticlockwise) or even remove it, to see if you can get the reach...do it on in the garage though, don't try riding it!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that is a 14t jump even if it went that far i doubt you would get the chain on there because the chain would be so tight on the 46 and to loose on the 32 to work with the gears at the back.

with the motor under load all i can see is snapped chains even trying to do it.

you need to adjust the screw that moves it as far right as you can but you will also risk bending the crap out of it as the jump is so big or the hole thing could snap off so try it in a bike stand first.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Your ring2ring ratio is too big (as I said in my first comment and SW also posted)...12 teeth seems to be the 9sp max and 10 the 10sp max, in my experience...and has your outer ring got ramp-pins on it, your pic doesn't show it...you can see the silver ramp-pins to help the chain move to the outer ring on this pic (excuse the wear, it's an old one!)
DSC03569.JPG

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol dont matter what front mech you buy it is not going to happen the jump is just to big and even if it would go out more the sheer force would either snap the chain or rip of the mech under load.

all you can do is get a bigger rear cassette eagle 12spd is 10-50

• :D

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Just fit a 38t narrow wide and run whatever cassette you want, although 11-36 is my favourite, it'll be good for 30mph on throttle and still climb anything you throw at it...all mine are set up like that

Domino83

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2017
london
Otherwise I should remove the small one ( including adaptor) and use only the 46? Do you think it should works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
one or the other will work but not the 2 together as is but imo the 46 will suck if going up hills and off road.
DSC_0673_01.JPG
and that is even bigger and was useless

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need a direct mount derailleur and a problem solvers direct mount adaptor for a fat bike BB.

Second problem the number of teeth, the only derailleur that will handle up to 16 teeth is a Sora road derailleur the one that works with a 50-34 road compact chainset. And yep you guessed they only seem to exist in braise on or collar mount.

If ever you do find a direct mount derailleur that does 16 teeth please tell me where, I am looking for one myself. I want to run 48-32 on the front of my trike.

D

Deleted member 4366

The problem is with the reach of the derailleur. Some don't reach far enough to pull the chain in line with the outer chainring. I've had that with a couple of bikes after I installed longer BBs so that I could fit a pedal sensor. Different derailleurs have different reaches. I'm not sure which ones reach the furthest.

Whatever reach you have, it will be limited by the end-stop screw, so first you need to loosen that off to get the maximum reach for your present one.

The large difference in the number of teeth on your cainrings might not be a problem. You'll have to try it then let us know.

There's two potential problems I can see. Firstly, whether the chain will ride up from the small to the big sprocket. I think it'll probably work if everything is adjusted right, though it may be a bit slggish to change. Secondly, is the chain length. The difference in sprocket sizes needs to be taken up by rear derailleur, so you need quite a long one. You'll probably be OK if you ony use the small chainring with the low gears on the back, i.e. no min-maxing of the gears.