Bafang BBS01/2 power levels

culy30

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2016
Hereford
I have 250w and 500w motors, both 36v. I'm happy with 9 power levels on my 500w 29er, but my wife would like 4 power levels on her 700c Hybrid. I have reprogrammed both controllers using a USB lead and I am happy with my 9 power level settings. But when I use the C961 display to set 4 power levels on my wife's bike, its not clear to me which of the 9 are being used when selecting 4. eg does it use 2-4-6-8 for example?? I ask because levels 1-2 seem very close, 3 has noticeable power increase esp on hills, while 4 seems flat out,it goes straight up to the display limited speed before the motor backs off (I have set level 9 to 100% current and 100% speed. It seems like its using something like 1-2-5-9

If I select 5 power levels they seem more evenly spaced, maybe 1-3-5-7-9, so I might give her 5 power levels as I doubt she'll use the highest level anyway.

The reason for her wanting 4 power levels is due to her renting an e-bike on holiday with the new Bosch motor. It had 4 power levels which she got on well with. I've tried to replicate that with the Bafang, but the controller on the Bafang is very different from the Bosch torque/cadence/speed intelligent controller. She's looking for a similar Eco (1), Tour (2), Sport (3) Turbo (4) setup.

Any thoughts welcome or if you have some settings you would be happy to share for the 250w BBS01 for someone just wanting a pleasant power assisted bike that will trundle along at 15.5 mph up hill and down dale (she actually goes slower down hill than up, figure that out if you can!) Please share or ask for my email. Many thanks

Chris

culy30

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2016
Hereford
Some have a hot button that works quite well..................tricky finding the right moment to press it though ;) But we digress..................

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My first build the settings worked for about 10 years, the second for about 20 years. At the moment I am running a kit version which has off days but when it runs it runs very well... :rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have 250w and 500w motors, both 36v. I'm happy with 9 power levels on my 500w 29er, but my wife would like 4 power levels on her 700c Hybrid. I have reprogrammed both controllers using a USB lead and I am happy with my 9 power level settings. But when I use the C961 display to set 4 power levels on my wife's bike, its not clear to me which of the 9 are being used when selecting 4. eg does it use 2-4-6-8 for example?? I ask because levels 1-2 seem very close, 3 has noticeable power increase esp on hills, while 4 seems flat out,it goes straight up to the display limited speed before the motor backs off (I have set level 9 to 100% current and 100% speed. It seems like its using something like 1-2-5-9

If I select 5 power levels they seem more evenly spaced, maybe 1-3-5-7-9, so I might give her 5 power levels as I doubt she'll use the highest level anyway.

The reason for her wanting 4 power levels is due to her renting an e-bike on holiday with the new Bosch motor. It had 4 power levels which she got on well with. I've tried to replicate that with the Bafang, but the controller on the Bafang is very different from the Bosch torque/cadence/speed intelligent controller. She's looking for a similar Eco (1), Tour (2), Sport (3) Turbo (4) setup.

Any thoughts welcome or if you have some settings you would be happy to share for the 250w BBS01 for someone just wanting a pleasant power assisted bike that will trundle along at 15.5 mph up hill and down dale (she actually goes slower down hill than up, figure that out if you can!) Please share or ask for my email. Many thanks

Chris
5 settings seems to be the usual choice on the BBS01. Tell her to never use the 5th setting or she may find herself in orbit around the sun with Elon's "Starman"... :p