Bafang BBS01B 36v 350w mid drive run on 48v battery

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Yes, people with blown controllers !

Seriously, it will pop straight away. A 350w is really just a 250w with the controller programming tweaked up. So arguably your system is running closer to design limits already

What is it you actually want to achieve?

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Even if it didn't blow the controller, it would spin the crank too fast for your pedal speed, so it would be uncomfortable unless you used only the throttle with no pedalling, and it wouldn't be efficient in your normal pedal speed range, which I guess is why the controllers blow.

If you want more power with a pedal assist crank-drive, you increase the current, not the voltage. Voltage only works for hub-motors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My BBS 36V controller only had 50v caps.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Even if it didn't blow the controller, it would spin the crank too fast for your pedal speed, so it would be uncomfortable unless you used only the throttle with no pedalling, and it wouldn't be efficient in your normal pedal speed range, which I guess is why the controllers blow.

If you want more power with a pedal assist crank-drive, you increase the current, not the voltage. Voltage only works for hub-motors.
I need more speed because my natural cadence is well over 90 and I get back EMF. I agree that a 33% increase is too much however. You can tweak that speed increase with an 11S or 12S battery rather than the usual 13S and 14S choices on the market.

My BBS 36V controller only had 50v caps.
You can run a 36v controller with a 12S battery if you don't charge over 4.1v per cell. I have been doing this for a considerable time now. The controller won't thank you when air temperature rises above 30°C...

Getting a 48v controller is a much better idea.

Running a BBS0x with an external controller is also a much better idea in warmer climates.

Stuart1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2019
I need more speed because my natural cadence is well over 90 and I get back EMF. I agree that a 33% increase is too much however. You can tweak that speed increase with an 11S or 12S battery rather than the usual 13S and 14S choices on the market.

You can run a 36v controller with a 12S battery if you don't charge over 4.1v per cell. I have been doing this for a considerable time now. The controller won't thank you when air temperature rises above 30°C...

Getting a 48v controller is a much better idea.

Running a BBS0x with an external controller is also a much better idea in warmer climates.

Stuart1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2019
Yes, people with blown controllers !

Seriously, it will pop straight away. A 350w is really just a 250w with the controller programming tweaked up. So arguably your system is running closer to design limits already

What is it you actually want to achieve?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Do you have experience of blowing a controler in those circumstances?
Nope, I've blown enough other 36v controllers by putting 48v or more through them though

And they had higher rating caps in them than the 50v caps you have in yours

Still, if you dont like the advice you can try it and see!

Reactions: twinkle