Help! Bafang BBs02 measurements for Chainstay avoidance

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hey

So after my previous thread (with thanks to those who advised in it) I have decided, if possible, to go with amid motor so I am looking at preferably the Bafang BBso2 or Tongsheng TSDZ2. However, it was mentioned by @Whoosh that he believes the RHS chainstay got in the way when trying to fit one to the bike I have, the Voodoo Aizan 29er.

I have searched everywhere but cant find measurements I need to confirm whether or not the Bafang will fit or not. Tp be honest I am not even sure what measurements I will need. How far from the bottom bracket to the plastic housing of the BBso2 or to the gear? From the centre of the bottom bracket to the chainstay? The BB is 73mm so just about suitable for the Bafang anyway in that regard.

Does anyone know how I can confirm this will fit before ordering? Or whether the Tongsheng is smaller if not and more suitable?

Using another bike is not an option so if neither mid motor mount fit I will have to reserve myself to a hub.

I would apreciate any advice with thanks

Rich

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From the face of the BB shell you need 65mm from center line of BB to the chain stay, as indicated by the Blue line I inked on your pic. This is just for the final drive casing that will need to sit hard up against the BB shell.IMG_20200518_160156.jpg

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
@Nealh thanks mate. Based on that I have no chance then. Keeping the ruler straight it goes well into the chainstay.

Bugger. So it's looking like a mid motor option is just not going to happen for me as I can't see the Tongsheng being significantly smaller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Tongsheng is just a copy albeit a TS model.

Yes that 45mm you got is no where near the mark.

If you have 9mm QR F/R then you can fit a hub motor, a good pic of the drop outs will be good.

Last edited:

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
OK, thanks all. Guess its a no go with the mid motor and onto a rear hub. One last question regarding freewheels. I have a 9 gear cassette on the rear of my bike. Is there any specific freewheel I should be ordering along with the wheel itself?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
OK, thanks all. Guess its a no go with the mid motor and onto a rear hub. One last question regarding freewheels. I have a 9 gear cassette on the rear of my bike. Is there any specific freewheel I should be ordering along with the wheel itself?
For a rear hub motor buy a cst/cassette hub then you can use your 9sp cassette.