Bafang Bpm @ 66.6v nominal 18s lipo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello all,
Just wanted to thank lyen for a great controller and communication on the above sensorless controller.
Got mine today about 10days after ordering from the US to the UK. No customs charge. Pricey little controller by the time you've added everything in compared to the cheaper controllers you can get.

But the difference is you can ask lyen to spec your own custom controller before it hits you door. Making it all the more worthwhile. Only down side mine is missing the USB ttl adapter that should have came with it. But I'm sure if anyone else's experience with lyen I'm sure he will help me out.

Quality of the controller is very good and it really is mini.
Here's it next to my 9 fet.

It's mostly the depth that is surprising.

I wanted a controller to work at 12s lipo and 18s lipo on a sensorless bafang bpm.
This controller has given me that flexibility and maybe later on 24s if I feel like hiring out the motor, gears and clutch.
The connections are the same as my 9 fet sensorless controller so setting up was a doddle.

12s throttle is smooth and the sensorless works well. The controller is currently set at 30amp current peak. So about 7amp higher than my 9fet.
18s the thing is a different bike. Hideously quick and some slight delays on the throttle response. I've been on it this morning loving it and love the flexibility to choose range or speed. My legs can just about keep up with the bike on full pelt.
The bpm is wound for a 24inch wheel but I'm running a 700c wheel. It's a hard tail. So I can now see why so many of you opt for the full Sus wider tire bikes.
Still very fun, not sure how long the motor will last at that voltage or current (now pulling peaks of 2000w) and the motor actually becomes warm for once. At 12s 22amp it never got warm at all. Think because I'm using a hybrid bike in amfairly flat area it just doesn't push it.

Anyway great controller. Well worth the buy.
Recommended even if the EB3 boards are out. This is still a great controller.
It does get warm though. But I'm running double the power I used to with 3 less fets.

I doubt I'll use 18s because it's to quick for commuting needs. But it's nice to have it there is I need it!
Top speed is now about 33mph, which means my legs are spinning quick quickly to keep up. But I can do. It just makes me work faster to achieve it.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Is that the mini monster controller? If so, I have the same on my commuter bike and it's a very flexible controller. I'm currently putting together the bits to convert my full sus bike and I'll be using the same controller and BPM hub as well.

If you're programming it have a look at the XPD software - found it much better than the stock software (more granluarity in the settings)

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

Oh, and you do know you've opened the "it's illegal" can of worms don't you? :p

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Not a post about the legal issues. Just saying that if someone wanted to run multiple packs of various voltages while keeping the weight down on a kit this controller is very good. It's expensive compared to the ones you get at Bmsbattery. But then again you don't need to buy multiple controllers.

My bpm is rated at 36v or 350w but there the same as the 500w there's no difference other than the wind.

Thanks for the heads up on the software. I'll give it a go when I get the adapter as it was missing from the delivery which is a pain.

Are you also running sensorless and do you get the same on the throttle?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Brilliant Scotty, nice to know someone here with one. I was tempted to get one, but i need to get my bike up and running first, so when the chinese holiday is over i will get a bog standard 6 fet 600W controller and maybe get a Lyen controller later on.

Does this guy actually make them? or are they modified original spec? and what can you actually alter with the software?

Incidently, whats the highest voltage you have connected to your 9FET controller?

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Nice one Scottyf!!

How much did you pay for this controller? And is it easy to change the voltage?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Modify them I believe with updated parts. If your handy with a soldering iron you'd probably be able to do it yourself. But it's beyond me and my hand wouldn't be that steady lol.

Saves me having to open up the controller to modify parameters I'd like.
Here's a basic screen shot of the software

It's worth getting if you can

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
So you use a usb cable to connect it to your pc?

What is the voltage and amperage range can you setup? I've seen on the screen multiples speed, I suppose you would need a specific speed switch?

And for the ice on the cake, is there a way to connect a 12V led strip or light to the controller? That would be such a nice to have!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah with the cable you connect from pc direct to controller and then you can change the settings there. In standard trim it will go up to about 40amp. But after that I think it would require some hacking on the shunts. But it's tiny and with 6 fets although decent enough still only 6 of them. So at that amp the heat would be loads.

All in all with postage and the cables it came to 135 usd. Or about £90 with shipping and the cycle analyst connections etc. Which is expensive for a controller of 6 fets. You could argue you could buy two or three controllers to do what you'd like.
Just depends how you would like to use the cash really.
I sold my other two controllers though so the upgrade hasn't hit me that hard.

Just love the fact it's a tiny controller with more on tap power than the standard 12 MOSFET bmsbattery controller.

Max voltage is 100v.
It does have a 3 speed ready connector
No 12v line but there is a 5v to use.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Quick Update.
The throttle has appeared to have stopped the lag. Maybe there was some self learning it did or maybe I just got used to it.

Anyway. First commute this morning with a 66.6v 10ah pack. @ 75.6v max the no load speed is roughly 500rpm or 40mph. Pulled peaks of 2030watt.

But as the speed is so high now I only use it like a burst rather than keeping it on.

That and to keep the heat in the motor down at the controller is set a bit high on 30amp.
Surprisingly being sparce with the throttle and lowring my speed a little to keep up with my own cadence did not destroy the effciency.

I have much higher top speeds than on 44.4v but I don't really arrive at my destination any quicker.
My top speed whilst on a dual carrigeway was 37mph with peddaling.

Far to quick for my liking. I am now going to see if I can get a 3 speed switch or a Pot like D8veh created.
However 66.6v pack is really only for messing about.

At top speed you can hear the little gears really creating some audible noise. Its definetly working hard.

Amazingly though the motor is still cold to touch.

Some stats from this mornings ride :-
3.7ah Used
251.6 Watts Used
28.9 Amp Max
2030 watt peak
69.45 volt min

This gave me around 25wh per mile. Which is better than what I thought. I also used less amp hr capacity than 44.4v. But this is due to the higher voltage being used.
It also means I still have enough capcity to do the full 20miles on 66.6v 10ah pack.

*Cwah seriously I have no idea why you want to do 30mph on a small folder bike. Its scary. Its bad enough on a 700c road bike. 2000w in a small folder means you will hurt yourself. Its seriously quick.*

On another note I got rid of the Powerpole connectors and have been using this to connect my backpack to bike. I swaped the used power poles to create a quick release connector for the rear wheel if I get a puncture.

Its actually rated at 250v @ 6amp = 1500w
So I know this is under most peoples bikes. Maybe not minje any more. But its been working really well. Give very good protection against rain. But I've had to epoxy the joints and connectors after shrink wrapping and soldering them.

I got soaked the other day when it hammered it down and the connector and motor worked fine. I have since changed the gaskets on the BPM and used epsoxy glue again to help seal the motor. It aparently is working and keeping the water out.
May have actually fixed the bafang now and it seems to work well. Not as good as it first was but its not far off.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Scott, what gearing are you using to keep up at 37mph?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'm using a standard 48 Front 14 rear. My legs spin hideously quick to acheive it.
Its not pleasent.

It also looks rediculous. I really need an 11tooth rear. Or a larger chain wheel on the front.

Needless to say I can't retain that spin very long.
My Cadence at that speed is about 140, maybe past that. Like I said. It was not comfortable.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
This was my run keeper stats from this morning

Please click here

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I'm using a standard 48 Front 14 rear. My legs spin hideously quick to acheive it.
Its not pleasent.
It also looks rediculous...
You really need to join the camera club. I would love to see this. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If theres a good camera I can attach to my face for £50 I'll do it.
You'll also be able to hear me making some strange noises as I try to keep up with it.

I naturally have to stop because I can't keep up for very long. I also don't like going that speed without peddaling. As its just wrong.

Needless to say I'll keep the controller and setup but wull be using it at 44.4v as its much more comfortable speed. Its more like a push bike thats pushing on as a cyclist. Rather than why is that person beating cars...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
your gonna need two. Head shot and leg shot - or - go down the tent pole route so you can mount a single camera exactly in the right place ... although at that speed it will all probably be a blur ... perhaps some things should be left to the imagination? ...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If you like I can get a video of my ride home tonight...?
It will be dark though and there will definetly not be any leg shots as it will be taken on my dodgy Iphone.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I think the thread on endless sphere about this controller has a couple of posts from me! ISTR Lyen saying that 25A continuous is fine and 30A is just about OK. So you're pushing it. It's a standard controller but with updated FETs pretty much as I believe NRG and others have done. These have lower resistance and so generate less heat for a given current. It's also got higher voltage caps so the max voltage is higher. I dare say you could get somebody here to do this work, and that's really what you're paying Lyen to do. 1/3 for the basic box, 1/3 for the new components and 1/3 for the manual work feels like a pretty reasonable price to me.

I've also seen someone here state that anything over 25A with the sensor-less BPM makes the startup stutter a bit aggressive.

Now we need some High-C battery packs that are plug and play.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Its probably something I could have done with a little bit of work on my 9 fet controller.
But I sold two other controllers for a grand total of £40 so in the end it cost me another £50 on top to upgrade or side step.

The beauty of it though is being able to program it to how I like. It also lets me run a multitube of packs and change the LVC accordingly.

So your right its expensive for what it really is. But its a controller thats ready for when I have cycle analyst and it seems really well matched with the geared motors.

I know you can push it in standard trim to +40amp.

I'm on 30amp at the moment. Which is to high for continous use. However the boost from 20mph onwards is scarey at that amp. You really feel it pushing you forward.

If you have a similar setup and would like a small / light controller that gives you the flexibility to change settings its worth the money.

However In use I really won't be using it much differently that my 9 fet.

Its actually slightly smoother than the 9fet bms battery on sensorless. The throttle is sensative on 66v but at the same time its quote controlled and i can easily get it to go walking pace for when i'm gonig through built up area's.

You could really achieve the same results with seperate controllers. Then you could have spares.
As it sits it a cooled part of my bag its easy for me to change the settings while at home for the next day.

Oh it was me that read 25amp was the max out of the BPM it was rated for. Its on the Bafangs official specification sheet. Any prolonged use at 30 amp would probably burn it up.

Its hard to tell the heat of the bafang. After going up hills on full throttle at 2000w peaks its still not warm. Still cold to touch the outer casing. I just dont think you can get a good read on temperature on a geared motor.

High C rate is ok with Lipo ;-)

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
The comment about 25A was not about whether the BPM could take it, but about the judder you get. If you use an on-off throttle or an on-off PAS, and you start the motor from stationary or walking pace, the startup judder as the sensorless circuitry works out which direction to power the motor get too aggressive with high currents. Alledgedly. And as reported by the German guy who used to post here.

As for HighC, cellman on endless sphere makes custom packs with a BMS of A123 cells. HighC, plug and play and safe. But expensive and heavy. At which point,
Lifebatt LiFePO4 - JozzTek is selling 10AHr LiFeBatt cylindrical cells for £9.99 each. These are rated at 10c continuous I believe.