wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you for your thoughts, AKW.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that one has Tektro hydraulic brakes.
Which brakes are fitted to the Greenway?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
that one has Tektro hydraulic brakes.
Which brakes are fitted to the Greenway?
The Greenway Cross has Shimano hydraulics. The Greenway code ultrafunkula refers to is E15C202, the 2015 model, but in fact the model Greenway actually supply has more in common with the later E16B402, from 2016. It has the Shimano hydraulics and the 38T chainwheel, although ours have the 2015 10.4Ah battery, and the 2016 model comes with 11Ah. Note the e-totem and mode branding - both Golden Wheel owned.
http://www.goldenwheelgroup.com/eng/Product_Show.asp?id=3671
Grrenway as e-totem3.jpg

Reactions: Woosh

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
Not wishing to appear thick - but could someone explain in simple terms exactly what is a Bafang Max Drive and what does it do that is different to "standard" motor.
My brother and I are looking for a new bike for our dad whose Kalkoff Aggatu packed up (motor) and would like to get a replacement machine for him.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
thank you Cyclebuddy. I honestly can't see how they can price it at £1,000 even if it were on a cash and carry basis.
Me neither. If as zack@byocycles estimates they're making a paltry £76 on each sale, you'd just switch the lights off and go home, wouldn't you?
Maybe they're cross-subsidising or (more likely) writing it off as a bad experiment and simply trying to clear stock at cost. A bike of this class just doesn't belong in Greenway's current portfolio.

• Agree
Reactions: Zack @ Byocycles

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Not wishing to appear thick - but could someone explain in simple terms exactly what is a Bafang Max Drive and what does it do that is different to "standard" motor.
My brother and I are looking for a new bike for our dad whose Kalkoff Aggatu packed up (motor) and would like to get a replacement machine for him.
The Bafang max drive motor is a centrally frame mounted crank drive motor, in experience the Bafang motor is absolutely bullet proof, I've been running one for around 9 months now as a test bike for our latest model.

Here is some more info on different types of crank drive motors:

http://electricbikereport.com/mid-drive/

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
thank you Cyclebuddy. I honestly can't see how they can price it at £1,000 even if it were on a cash and carry basis.
And 18.5 € shipping to France!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bafang Max Drive looks very much like a first generation Bosch crank motor knock-off, it even shares the slightly unusual choice of an ISIS bottom bracket.

Nothing wrong with that, the Japanese and latterly Koreans and Chinese have been copying older European products for years.

Other Bafang crank motors are known for unreliability, usually put down to poor quality control.

If you get a good one, they're fine, but your chances of getting a dud are much higher than with a Bosch or Yamaha.

Power delivery is the other unknown factor.

Your dad's Kalkhoff - and most Bosch motored bikes - are known for their smooth power delivery which makes them very agreeable to ride.

Chances are the Max Drive will be OK in this regard, although other Bafang crank drives are known to be less refined than the Bosch motor.

It would be safer for dad to have a whirl on a Max Drive bike before buying to avoid possible disappointment.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I received my Greenway Cross today. Unboxed and started the setup.

I can confirm:
1) Shimano CS-HG-200-9 9 Speed cassette
2) Shimano Altus BR-M355 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
3) Feels pretty good quality throughout
4) One cable from the motor which is perilously close to the rear wheel
5) Front hydrualic hose looks a bit long - looks like it could easily end up in the spokes of the front wheel - I will have to either look at adjusting it to make the hose run shorter, or go back to cable ties (Arggh!), or re-route outside the fork lower. I see different views on whether the hose should be routed inside or outside the fork leg.

I will post a review thread up soon with some photos but at the moment I'm pleased with the way it looks like it will turn out.

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I received my Greenway Cross today. Unboxed and started the setup.

I can confirm:
1) Shimano CS-HG-200-9 9 Speed cassette
2) Shimano Altus BR-M355 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
3) Feels pretty good quality throughout
4) One cable from the motor which is perilously close to the rear wheel
5) Front hydrualic hose looks a bit long - looks like it could easily end up in the spokes of the front wheel - I will have to either look at adjusting it to make the hose run shorter, or go back to cable ties (Arggh!), or re-route outside the fork lower. I see different views on whether the hose should be routed inside or outside the fork leg.

I will post a review thread up soon with some photos but at the moment I'm pleased with the way it looks like it will turn out.
Number 4 the speed sensor is close to the tyre, that's the one I mentioned I had to cable tie as the fixed cable position is in poor location.
Hope weather picks up over next few days so you can have a little fun

Reactions: redcup1999

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Did I read correct RobF, that the Bafang Max Drive uses the ISIS interface for the cranks.

I am a big fan of ISIS and my current none ebike bike, runs ISIS Ti Cranks, using SKF XC-600 Bottom Bracket, that is still running sweet after 13 years!

Bosch of course also use the ISIS interface, far better than Square Taper imho.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Did I read correct RobF, that the Bafang Max Drive uses the ISIS interface for the cranks.

I am a big fan of ISIS and my current none ebike bike, runs ISIS Ti Cranks, using SKF XC-600 Bottom Bracket, that is still running sweet after 13 years!

Bosch of course also use the ISIS interface, far better than Square Taper imho.
The Max Drive unit uses square taper crankset, the spider locates on the freewheel drive section by way of spline drive only looking similar to Isis, but secured by a heavy duty circlip,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Uh?
wobblier more like and kills your crank arms more quickly.
I could have added a decent quality properly maintained square taper will last many years.

The problem with ISIS is its relatively small diameter.

My two have been fine, but I believe the small size of ISIS is one of the reasons why it has not been widely adopted on push bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I use GXP bottom bracket on my bikes for the younger ones.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Can't remember the sizes but ISIS BB's are available in two different bolt sizes 12mm and 15mm or something like that, obviously the 12mm units are for Down Hill bikes and FreeRide etc, whilst 15mm is aimed at Cross Country and Touring.

Just differing Spindle thickness.

The SKF ISIS BB's came with 100,000 km or 10 year warranty which ever comes first, they were so good that they stopped making them, nothing to do with the interface as they were available in both ISIS and Square Taper, being SKF it was all about the bearings and seals used.

From an engineering point of view, ISIS is sweet, and is probably why Bosch adopted it, being patent free no cost involved, and German of course.

Whilst Square Taper, is like something from the dark ages, a bit like derailleur gears!

• :D
Reactions: E-Wheels