Bafang rear hub broken?

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
I have got my bafang rear hub working that has gone into a project bike but all it does is make a noise I assume the gearing is broken in the hub
I wondered if there was a link to a hub rebuild on the site sure I saw something about it
many thanks
Fatts

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I saw you inquiring about the wiring codes earlier. If you have the order of the three thick wires wrong, the motor can kick up a noise but not turn. That's likely to be the problem. Try them in a different order unitil the motor runs, it's likely you only need to swap two of them over.

Those three wires are the ones for the motor's phase windings by the way, the five are for the Hall sensors which are semiconductors, and the order of those five may be ok now if you've got this far.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
It is also possible it is running backward but Flecc's advice still holds. I think it is also possible to get the 5 wires in the wrong order and have similar problems. You may have to experiment a bit 'till you get it right. Seems a bit daunting but I did manage to wire one up without a reliable wiring diagram.

Last edited:

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Thank you Fleec, dvh8? I think I got that right messaged me earlier and said the same and its now running
thank you all for your input much appreciated
Fatts

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A pleasure Fatts, that's d8veh, and I'm glad he was able to help you out.