Bafang scooter battery upgrade

Megadevs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2021
Hi Pedelecs,

I have Klaxon Mini wheelchair scooter attachment that runs a bafang controller and 250w motor - https://bafang-e.cn/oem-area/drive-systems/drive-system/e-kickboard/h100-drive-system-1/ . The system came with an unbranded 36v 6ah bottle battery very similar to the Analogue Motion batteries that are plagued with issues - my battery keeps needing to be repaired so I am looking to upgrade the battery. I am considering a 36v Yose Power one - https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bike-battery/products/36v-10-4ah-bottle-battery-e-bike . But I am also considering moving up to 48v and sacrificing range for torque. The bafang website says my controller and motor are 48v compatible but I'm a total n00b and have no idea whether this is doable or not. What do people think? Is 48v a good idea? Also are there recommendations for reputable 48v bottle batteries? Everything I've found so far is off of Ebay.

Cheers

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can always get another controller if it blows.

If you're happy with the speed, you can get a more powerful 36v controller, or solder the shunt in your present one that costs nothing to get 25% more torque.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hub motor won't mind the voltage though by upping the V's to 48v one will increase the hub motors winding RPM speed x 30%, equally it also means the torque will also increase x 30%. One can then also use less current if needs be to match the current output of a 36v system.
So the hub motor isn't an issue.
The controller may be dual voltage but one will have to check first , the label may indicate so or if not one will need to take the rear plate off the controller and have a look at the main inrush capacitor thta is situated at the rear to see if it it marked 60v. Some are only 50v rated so not 48v capable as 48v is only the nominal battery voltage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
X with Saneagle as always d8veh always simplifies things better then I do.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are a couple of ebay sellers where batteries are recommended.

Megadevs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2021
Ok thanks for that.

Looking at the controller, it specifies 36v on the casing so probably 36v

Any reputable brands I should consider. The Yose Power battery looked good to me. What do you think?

Cheers

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok thanks for that.

Looking at the controller, it specifies 36v on the casing so probably 36v

Any reputable brands I should consider. The Yose Power battery looked good to me. What do you think?

Cheers
I have some reservations about the commutation speed. How fast does your motor spin?