Bafang SWXK caliper solution?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Hi Folks
It's been a long time since i last posted. I have an old bafang motor that i want to fit to my son-in-laws bike. It originally came from a Vbrake bike, now i need to get it to fit a cable operated disc brake. The wheel slots into the forks nicely but the wider hub fouls the caliper.
I thought i'd ask here first before i start fabricating and grinding....Anyone have a solution? maybe a slimmer caliper that might be available?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally if the forks allow, you have to fit a larger disc rotor and a caliper adapter to suit the disc. This then should clear the hub.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

If the motor touches the brake caliper, you get a bigger disc and a mount adapter - about £15 total. Normally, 180mm is enough to get the caliper clear.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: D C and LeighPing

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I used a 203 disc and adaptor which is still a very close fit though I may have just about got away with 180.

Stopping power is increased, as is the strain on the forks, so a light touch on the front brake is helpful.
Dave.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Thanks for the replies.
Well...here it is. I have to get the bike rolling by Monday so to get over the problem i fitted a spare set of forks that have v brakes. The intention is to sort out the disc brake when i have more time. The wiring is already fixed to the rack so hopefully i can return it this weekend electrified.

To make sure the brake caliper clears i think i'll fit a 203mm disc and adapter.
Are the adapters universal? these forks have posts rather than lugs with side mounts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unless it is a 180mm BPM you should be ok with a 180 disc.
You need a 180 or 203 post to post front adapter dependant on the disc you get, plenty on ebay. I tend to stick with Shimano mounts but ther are cheaper mounts. Also worth knowing that a front post adapter will suit a rear brake but the next disc size down. As D8veh mentioned £15 odd should cover both components.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Disc-Brake-Post-to-Post-Mount-Adaptor-FRONT-203mm-rotor-SM-MA-F203P-P-/201201421246?hash=item2ed88a0bbe:g:m8wAAOSwF1dUSbFy

Or a cheaper no brand version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Disc-Brake-Mount-Adaptor-for-180mm-Post-Caliper-To-Post-Fork-Front-180mm-/252509943705?hash=item3acac3f799:g:btQAAOSwIgNXvCEC