Bargain Lifepo4 cells

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
They are a good price but to make any substantial battery amp hour wise the pack would be huge. Still a good price for those who would want a 2/3 amp hour battery as a back up.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I must confess im not using them for bike battery packs. Ive been on a bit of a project to LED the whole house. i have a solar panel set up which runs an inverter to power a charger and all our lighting is now battery powered.

Ive been making up battery packs to between 10 & 12 volts depending on chemistry. these are only my second new purchase as ive tried to scavenge for the most part.

Solar panels from an office refurb my company did cost me a crate of beer to the boys on site. 12v server backup batteries from a mate in IT. lots of cells from old drill batteries sold on ebay as faulty (its often just one or two cells that are duff).

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Just an update to this. received batteries yesterday after a very long wait. unfortunately, they sent the wrong ones grrr. i got 20 bog standard lipos rather than lifepo4. the item description clearly states lifepo4 but the pictures show 3.7v lipo. will be interesting to see their reply after the dragon boat festival holiday. hopefully they will dispatch new ones and let me keep these. that would be a result lol

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
If you want a cheap battery for a solar powered lighting setup just go to the scrapyard and find a car battery thats got some life left in it. Usually if a car battery has sat around for a while and it still has a bit of power in it it's a good battery.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I do have several big car and leisure batteries for collecting the solar panel output but prefer to make up custom battery packs for local light solutions so i dont have wires all over the place.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Well the lord giveth and the lord taketh away but sometimes he giveth back again :)

my ebay seller wanted me to return the incorrect cells at my own cost and then once he had received them back he would dispatch the lifepo4 cells. probably another 6 weeks of waiting so i had a rant at him and left negative feedback. i should easily recoup my outlay by selling them on so no harm done.

I then stumbled across another potential bargain in the form of extender batteries for the archos media player. 3.7v lipos at 10ah capacity are inside each case and the housing makes for a nice alu heatsink

all for the great price of £34 delivered for a dozen of the above. Will allow me to build 4 11.1v 10ah packs so im well impressed at that price.

still available at the link below

JOB LOT 12X ARCHOS 3.7V 10Ah RECHARGEABLE BATTERY PACKS | eBay UK