Basingstoke - Wisper 905 SE Commuter

Shycho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2019
Just took delivery of my new Wisper 905 SE ebike as part of my employers cycle to work scheme.

At 32 years old i'm used to cycling to work 1-2 days a week, but i'm hoping an ebike will get me over the hump (and hills) to enable to cycle commute full time.
I'm also hoping to be a leader of wider cycling adoption at work, once others see how much easier ebikes can make the transition.

So tomorrow will be my first day commuting by hybrid power.

Shycho

Feb 28, 2019
My commute is only 4 miles and I cannot wait for tomorrow morning.

As the only cycle commuter in my office I'm really hoping it helps those put off by a lack of showers, and the steep inclines approaching the office, to take the leap.
Plus if it can save me from having a wet wipe party in the mens toilets each time I cycle in, that'll be the icing on the cake.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have been commuting too and from work mostly by ebike for quite a few years now and really enjoy it. I definitely do sweat on my commute of 20 to 24 miles round trip but wear cycling gear, allow about half an hour when I get there to sluice myself down and change into my work gear and do not work in an office.

The miles I do and stuff I carry make an ebike the only way I could regularly cycle and gives me a nice chunk of exercise in the process. My work colleagues are curious but there have been only two others take the ebike plunge out of a work force of around 150 so if it is a revolution it is a slow burn one.

There is really only one other guy who commutes by bike as regularly as me and one other one who does it quite often with a few others who are more occassional bike to work riders.

Shycho

Feb 28, 2019
I definitely do sweat on my commute of 20 to 24 miles round trip but wear cycling gear, allow about half an hour when I get there to sluice myself down and change into my work gear and do not work in an office.

The miles I do and stuff I carry make an ebike the only way I could regularly cycle and gives me a nice chunk of exercise in the process. My work colleagues are curious but there have been only two others take the ebike plunge out of a work force of around 150 so if it is a revolution it is a slow burn one.
Your commuting efforts certainly put mind to shame, but you've highlighted some of the other reasons I considered an ebike, and i'm glad my thought process appears to be on the right tracks.

Took the bike for it's first commute today, and absolutely loved it. Ramping the assist up for the hilly sections just to see how it copes, meant I got to work 3-4 minutes sooner, and considerably less sweaty. I also enjoyed the simple things like the assist kicking in to help me get back up to speed if I had to coast through a tight section, taking some strain off my legs.

It's presence in the office appears to have peaked the interest of a few co-workers already, which is an added bonus.

Shycho

Feb 28, 2019
One week into my ownership now, i've commuted via e-bike every day since.
My most important lesson from week one, is that my bike seems to lack a brake controlled motor cut out.
As such a rather wet commute home saw me stack it (at low speed) as I gently pedalled across a drive way, and need to make a sharp turn upon reaching the otherside, just as the assist kicked in...

Still I think I preferred that, to yesterday's rather windy commute which saw me actively pedalling to get down a hill, against a head wind.