Batteries too expensive!!

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
£879 for a battery they are having a laugh.

Having said that, when I used to work for a firm supplying the MOD with stuff, we used to invoice them £50 for 13amp plugs, per single unit, costing less than 50p, as they say, there is one born every minute.

And don't even ask what we used to charge them for a pack of five 13amp fuses which never got used!

• :D
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cells are about 5 quid each x 40 and a bms case and wiring just you can not hack the bosch bms as soon as you remove it from the pack you need the bosch factory software to tun it back on why no one makes them or can recell them, right pita tbh.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could hack in to the bosch system but if you put it online for all to see or try sell a device to programme it ur self bosch will be on ur ass big time as it will be copyright and then ur fooked.

tho they made the defeat device for vw pmsl ;)

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep soundwave, you are right, although Bosch will put up with a certain amount of hacking like all big corporations do.

So long as they are getting the wonga from the honest folk they will turn a blind eye.

I had this with Sky back in the 90's, when I used to install satellite systems into pubs and clubs.

Sky did send the boys round, but it came to nothing, at the time Sky could get £2000 per month from a small pub, whilst I was charging £1500 for a one of fee, if it kept going for a couple of months, the pub was quids in.

I am out of that business now, but it still goes on, and the pubs that don't pay sky, get all there footy through the Internet, since the arrival of fast broadband.

As they say, man makes it, man breaks it!

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the sky sports channels are on a site that you can stream them all from live if you know what it is ;) ebike shop sells and fits dongles to there bikes and also honer the warranty.

ktm bikes ect on here have posted letters bla bla bla and all it did was he had to remove the dongle from the same page as the bike so nothing has changed to this date.

all other dealers cant do this as say a dongle voids the warranty but at the end of the day that is not true and not one can prove a dongle has been used or posted proof of this in over 2 years of me asking lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah my mum has one tv licence man not happy tho pmsl ;)

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If you read up on how FETS/MOSFETS are used in commercial battery protection circuits you will then understand why there is no detectable voltage on your multimeter.

Pin pattern does not matter.
I thank you for your concern, however I suspect my 30+ years of teaching electronics and writing syllabii has given me an inkling.

• Disagree
Reactions: IR772

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I thank you for your concern, however I suspect my 30+ years of teaching electronics and writing syllabii has given me an inkling.
Hi IR, I am puzzled by your use of the disagree icon, since you cannot know whether my alleged competence is factual or false, you have no basis on which to disagree. On the other hand were you to use a dislike icon, that would be fair game.

To recap and put things in perspective. The O P questioned why battery packs were expensive. Following a number of arguments he/ she concluded that at 1.2£ per week, they were reasonable value. Then the discussion moved onto the Bosch system and the cost of their battery packs. A poster suggested that there could should be a market in providing substitutes. I provided some information regarding the current Bosch offering and another poster confirmed that a previous model the Bosch classic had a second supplier. I then corrected my previous posting to indicate that my comments could only refer to the 3 pin oval connector as used in current production.

There was then a couple of entries relating to hacking of TV systems, ....

Since this connector is unique to the Bosch system and can only be inserted in one direction only, I am reasonably confident that the orientation of the pins matter.

Should you wish to start a thread on the electronics within battery packs, I would be delighted to read it and perhaps contribute

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0601.JPG

• Informative

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Can't do the Linky thing, but came across "e-bike vision gmbh" who are doing compatible Bosch batteries, they only seem to have older models listed, but could be interesting for future reference.

Not sure how the prices compare to OEM Bosch batteries, but you would expect them to be cheaper.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Can't do the Linky thing, but came across "e-bike vision gmbh" who are doing compatible Bosch batteries, they only seem to have older models listed, but could be interesting for future reference.

Not sure how the prices compare to OEM Bosch batteries, but you would expect them to be cheaper.
It's the same Classic line compatible battery I linked to earlier.

There was also some smaller capacity Classic compatible batteries from China a couple of years ago.

I suspect the batch was sold and no more were made.

http://www.e-bike-vision.de/produkte/power-pack-ersatzakkus/fuer-das-36-v-bosch-antriebssystem-classic-line/

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, good news, and these new Panasonic/Tesla cells will be a game changer.

I wonder when we will start to see the new 2170 Cells appearing in the Bosch battery packs etc, it can only be a mater of time.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It is very unfortunate, but the more that people buy these Bosch products, the more Bosch will continue with their restrictive practices and basically rip people off.
If people decide to not buy Bosch (ie the market decides) then this pernicious practice will cease.
Me? I am 100% for the Chinese.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Mike, I agree and I am waiting for the right Bafang Max Drive bike to come along, at least then the cost of a decent 15ah 500w 36v battery will be a more sensible price, and having a spare will be a simple affair.

I will definatley be giving the Bosch and Yamaha equipped Ebikes a swerve.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Interesting discussion . Having just bought a Yamaha dirt e the thought of paying I think about £600 for a replacement battery is a scary thought. I did read somewhere on this forum that the Yamaha batteries are good for 2000 charges..optimistic? probably.So lets half that estimate and say 1000 charges at say 30 mile intervals. over 5 years . That's 6000 miles per year total 30,000 miles. My cyclotricity is in its fifth year and about 4000 miles and the battery is well looked after and I would say has easily 80% capacity left but the cycle parts are a bit tired, the motor still works fine though. Hopefully the Yamaha cycle parts will be more rugged. Balancing it all up I feel the Yamaha is not so bad value overall.(especially if bought at sale price)
An ebike is the sum of its parts not just the battery.
So I have convinced myself , have I convinced you ;)
edit ..of course its a giant dirt e... with Yamaha motor... senility looms haha

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike