Battery/bike range test

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One aspect of e-bikes that leaves a massive gap for variation of and much over estimating of, is a bikes useable and realistic assisted mileage range. An idea that has been bouncing around my head, is to try a few different power systems/bikes out over a set distance, using one power setting (undecided which one) until the bikes battery calls it a day.
How practical and accurate would it be if this test was to be carried out on the two routes below, on road and off road depending upon bike, with lots of different riders, swapping and riding the bikes, with no adjustment to power settings allowed.
If nothing else, it could make for an entertaining time, if anyone fancies it in the summer.

Kidds Hill, not too far from me, and is a hill that I ride up reguarly, sometimes I ride up on road, sometimes off road.

edit.. Forgot to add that there is a lovely country pub called The Hatch, at the other end of the road. ;)

My KOM of this isn't recorded on here, and was taken from a Google search

The real bastid bit of the climb starts at the 1.37 bit.

What is interesting to me, is that I grew up in this area, and as kids we would cycle down the hill flat out, with fishing rods etc hanging on the bikes, do a days fishing at the bottom, then cycle back up again, using our old and knackered three speed Raleigh's and not even think anything much about it. The hill appears to have got steeper and harder to climb over the years! :D

Last edited: