Battery brought back to life by d8veh

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi all,

I just wanted to post an update on my BMS Battery Lithium-Ion battery problem..I thought it was dead but lo and behold, d8veh managed to solve the problem and fix it last week! I got it back this morning and it's working fine.. so I'm looking forward to a test ride later after work!! My physiotherapist has recommend I ease back into cycling after knee surgery as the exercise will do it good (since I can't swim!), so having power again will make that much easier as my gears are screwed and highly geared!

I will post an update later and some pics, as I don't think I've posted any pics yet of my new eMezzo conversion now its (almost) completed.. just needs gears fixing, brake-cut sensor adding, and speedict). But I'm just happy to have a ride just around the block a few times on it again after MANY months, while there's still some warm weather.

A big thank you to d8veh for being so generous with his time. Not only did he fix the battery for me, but he even resealed it up again and did an amazing job! He even refused to pay any payment for his time!! I'll send him a token of my appreciation if I can find something suitable :)

Anyway for those interested, it seems the problem was related to the battery sitting idle for a long time between charges and the voltage had dropped to below a certain level on one or two cells which cause the BMS circuit to "shut off" which required a reset. Surprisingly there is no button or switch to do that and d8veh had to unsolder and re-solder a wire between the BMS and the cells to reset the BMS chip. Built-in obsolescence or just poor design from China?! D8veh comment, we wondered how many batteries in this situation (which are perfectly good with years life in them) end up being tossed away into landfill.. good question!

Paul

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
excellent news :)

d8veh also talked me through getting my battery going again (daily use and 6 months on it still owrks fine)

I also successfully used his trick to bring very low indicuvual cells back up. I did this on 12 x 18650 cells taken from busted laptop batteries over the weekend. They were reading around 1.4v but just touching a fully charged cell to each one for 10seconds to 20seconds brought them up to 3v so they could be stuck on a normal charger

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Once again outstanding help from Dave. Fair play to him.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Top bloke....
Indeed he is! His tehnicial knowledge of batteries is mighty impressive...I think he should start a business recycling/repairing them (he'd make a fortune), but he's not interested! Well, we'll have to give him a position as technical advisor and consultant at CycleCharge if wants ;-)

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
I've always found d8veh's posts extremely helpful and knowledgable. Seems to know his onions and always gives straightforward answers. So I'm adding my thanks to him too!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
excellent news :)

d8veh also talked me through getting my battery going again (daily use and 6 months on it still owrks fine)

I also successfully used his trick to bring very low indicuvual cells back up. I did this on 12 x 18650 cells taken from busted laptop batteries over the weekend. They were reading around 1.4v but just touching a fully charged cell to each one for 10seconds to 20seconds brought them up to 3v so they could be stuck on a normal charger
You know there's an irreversible change takes place in lithium cells when they get down that low?
Cells of mine that have gone that low get binned, no second chance for them.