Battery charger query

7cfm

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2011
I recently purchased an additional battery and charger from Kudos to use in Parallel with an existing battery on my bike. When I charge the new battery the charger indicates red as expected, but when it’s fully charged the light continuously flicks red/green/red/green etc.

Is this normal? I have two Kudos chargers and they both behave in the same way. This is my first lithium iron phosphate battery, the other 3 bike batteries I own are all lithium manganese and all show a steady green light on their respective chargers when fully charged.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I have a Kudos bike. The charger light is red when you first start charging, then as you've noticed it flickers red/green. If you leave it on it will eventually stay green. I don't know if it's fully charged when it's flickering but it will eventually stay green.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi It sounds like the battery balancing the individual cells I would Give Kudos a call and ask the question

They are the experts on there battery and chargers

Frank

7cfm

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks both, I will try and leaving it charging overnight tonight and see if that sorts out the flickering.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Not sure if you should leave it all night ?

Maybe an hour or two and turn it off before you go to bed.

Regards

Jerry

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi We recommend with our battery's you leave them on for 12 hours the first 6 charges to balance out the cells in the battery

Frank

7cfm

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks Frank, thats useful to know. I'll check it before bed and if it hasn't settled down I'll see whats its doing in the morning.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've never checked how long mine flickers for but it's not long, certainly not all night. If I spot it flickering I just leave it a little while and it is green and the charger is cool. Most times I never see it flickering as it's went green and it's finished charging by the time I look at it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Of course, you know you've now got my curiosity up and next time I'm charging, probably tomorrow, I'll try to keep an eye on it. ;)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've just realised, I won't be charging tomorrow. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday, it might be a good idea if I don't go out to play on my bike.

7cfm

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2011
I have just checked and the battery charger is still flashing red/green, the charger is cold so I guess that's just the way it works.

Nigelk

Pedelecer
Apr 8, 2012
Nr Banbury
I just did a search and found your thread, just charging my battery for the first time and my charger is doing the same as yours.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Is it a kudos battery and charger? How long have you had it on charge for?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The battery was already charged 3/4 so I have had it on for 2 hours.
Once mine starts flashing green/red it normally goes solid green after about 30 minutes or so. I've never managed to time it.

Last edited: