Battery connection question

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Being new to electric bikes, I have a question about battery connections.

I have seen that batteries come in all shapes and sizes but I would like to know if battery connections are standard or does each bike maker produce connections specifically for their bikes so it is difficult to use other batteries?

My Tonaro Enduro has an odd shaped battery and I would like a box shaped battery to sit on the luggage rack as a spare when touring.

The connector from the motor is a "kettle" type plug, a 3 pin female. The charger socket is a 3 pin round, a bit like the old speaker connectors. I am sure there must be technical jargon for these connectors.

I can fabricate a rack for the spare battery to sit in. I would appreciate any advice.

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Manufacturers differ in the plugs and sockets they fit, and most don't use the kettle type connector on batteries now for obvious safety reasons, the off chance of someone connecting mains direct to the battery. Some use a variant with the earth pin rotated 90 degrees to prevent that happening.

Charger connectors are often the XLR type or the slightly smaller NTC variant more popular in China and the USA. Both were originally designed for microphone connection with balanced line use, but have found their way into many other applications with various pin configurations. You can get XLR connectors from Maplins etc.

Last edited: