battery cost,pedlec vs scooter

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
This is my first post on these forums so i will tell you a little about myself first,I will shortly be retiring,i own small car a 50cc scooter a folding push bike and now a used Izip Ezgo bought on Ebay for £200, in ''as new'' condition.I am so far very pleased with the Izip although it as a SLA battery which i am ok with.I understand these batteries can be bought for about £100. My plan was to sell the scooter and at some time move on to a more expensive bike with ni.cad type batteries but after looking at the prices for these battery packs (£400-£500) i think i will hang on to the scooter and the Izip for a while.What are the best SLA battery bikes on the market at present and any advice on how to care for these batteries and make them last as long as possible would be most appreciated.
Brian.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ni-Cad have long gone Brian, being environmentally damaging, and the successor NiMh type is also scarcely used now. The higher price batteries you mention are all lithium types now.

Regarding SLA life, the best way to treat them is to charge little and often, avoiding draining them right down if possible, thohgh that isn't always possible of course. Always use the right high discharge type and preferably choose a bike with the largest capacity batteries.

Unfortunately there's now hardly any choice of SLA equipped bikes around, but some buy lithium battery models and use until the battery is dud, then replace it with SLAs mounted on the rack or in panniers.