Battery failing to accept charge

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I noticed a few days ago that when I attached the charger plug into the battery (Wisper 905) and turned it on the LED went straight from yellow to Green after a second or two. I thought perhaps the plug/socket was worn as I could sometimes get it to work by putting some pressure on the plug. Last night it refused to work completely and I realised that the female part of the plug in the battery itself had come loose. I opened up the battery and fixed it back into place.....but it still goes from yellow straight to green - I've done 8/9 miles since it was last fully charged. Could it be that my battery's had it? It's five years old but was hardly used and looked after properly for the first 3 years. I've used it most days for 2 years but usually for between 3 to 10 miles. Only, say, 20 times, have I done 20 miles plus - and I did 15 miles only last week.

Knackered battery or charger/plug issue?

Any thoughts please I'm desperate!!

D

Deleted member 4366

Failure to charge can be caused by a number of faults including (in order of likeliness):
Faulty charge fuse in the battery. Some are accessible from outside the battery, others are inside.
Faulty connector - charger or battery
Faulty wire on charger. Broken inside insulation
Cells in the battery too low causes the BMS to shut off charging.
Cells in the battery too high causes the BMS to shut off charging.

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery charge socket. This will eliminate some of the potential causes.

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
Looks like you're spot on Dave with 'Faulty charge fuse in the battery'

I can see it's blown but I can't read the rating - my eyes aren't up to it!!
Any idea where I could get a replacement?

D

Deleted member 4366

5amps normally. Look at the label on your charger to see its output current, then double it (approx). Maplins should have them.

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I've been to Maplins, picked up the replacement and it's charging again!

Many thanks Dave, and KirstenS too for her suggestion.

ps On cycling today from the City to Hackney I saw no less than four ebikes.....that's a record!